DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Soldering brass fittings (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/136284-soldering-brass-fittings.html)

Sadly December 19th 05 11:34 AM

Soldering brass fittings

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting? If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Grunff December 19th 05 11:43 AM

Soldering brass fittings

Sadly wrote:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

No.

--
Grunff

Christian McArdle December 19th 05 11:50 AM

Soldering brass fittings

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes. Brass solders easily.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Solder rings are easier. End feed look better.

Christian.

Chris Bacon December 19th 05 12:11 PM

Soldering brass fittings

Grunff wrote:
Sadly wrote:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes.

If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

No.

Remember to take out the "rubber" washer before you solder the
thing on.

Andrew Gabriel December 19th 05 12:19 PM

Soldering brass fittings

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting?

Yes. Brass solders easily.

Clean up with steel wool and flux, just as you would copper.

Suggest you unscrew and remove the guts whilst soldering.
At least, I do, as I rather suspect the rubber parts will
not survive otherwise.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ed Sirett December 19th 05 07:54 PM

Soldering brass fittings

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:34:41 -0800, Sadly wrote:

I have noticed that all the drain valves I have seen for sale are
brass. Is it possible to solder these rather than using a compression
fitting? If so, does solder-ring v. end-feed make any difference?

Brass fitting are easier IME experience to solder than copper as the
heavier metalwork makes for a more even and consistent temperature when
soldering.