Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO

Default Changing plug holes and taps

Hi all,

How easy is it to change the plug holes and taps on the bathroom sink and
bath?

Any links that people can point me to please?

Anything I should be aware of? I assume that changing the taps I need to be
careful of water leakage when switching the mains back on.

Thanx.

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

AMO wrote:
How easy is it to change the plug holes and taps on the bathroom sink
and bath?

Relatively trivial, of course having said that the fittings will have
been there for ages( they wont move, pipes will break) and changing them
will morph into an all weekend nightmare

Any links that people can point me to please?

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Plumbing/Taps/taps.htm

And fitting a waste is shown (in part) here, one of the major gotchas
lies here as if you don't get a decent water tight seal between the
waste and the basin/bath, water may well leak past this junction and as
the bath is (usualy) covered at the side the leak may well go undetected
untill other major damage is done, this also applies to a bathroom sink
which may have a pedestal .
http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Plu...t/basinfit.htm

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AMO

"soup" wrote in message
k...
AMO wrote:
How easy is it to change the plug holes and taps on the bathroom sink
and bath?

Relatively trivial, of course having said that the fittings will have
been there for ages( they wont move, pipes will break) and changing them
will morph into an all weekend nightmare

Any links that people can point me to please?

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Plumbing/Taps/taps.htm

And fitting a waste is shown (in part) here, one of the major gotchas
lies here as if you don't get a decent water tight seal between the
waste and the basin/bath, water may well leak past this junction and as
the bath is (usualy) covered at the side the leak may well go undetected
untill other major damage is done, this also applies to a bathroom sink
which may have a pedestal .
http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/Plu...t/basinfit.htm

Thanx for that. I had gotten some Domestos onto some metal work and just
wanted to change the metal bits. Seems like it might be a lot of risk
though.

AMO

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

soup wrote:
AMO wrote:

How easy is it to change the plug holes and taps on the bathroom sink
and bath?

Relatively trivial, of course having said that the fittings will have
been there for ages( they wont move, pipes will break) and changing them
will morph into an all weekend nightmare

Yep, trivial in principle, but depends on the age of the existing
fittings. If they'd been installed last week, you can be sure they'll
be modern size and readily unmountable, probably with nice easy-to-use
flexible couplings; however if your bath is 30 years old the opposite
will be true.

Have a look at a recent thread here at http://tinyurl.com/9vvlh (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/369bdf4c27838065/d2d1df9f4aff3548?hl=en#d2d1df9f4aff3548);
lots more info in the archives of this group if you google it.

David

What tap or taps to use in 12 ga. (.104 inch thick) galvanized steel. [email protected] Metalworking 12 September 5th 05 07:23 PM
tap/die question SteveB Metalworking 32 June 19th 05 09:51 PM
tapping using short projection npt taps Kent Frazier Metalworking 15 June 13th 05 11:14 AM
Taps on basin keep moving John Stumbles UK diy 1 August 12th 03 08:42 AM
Wall mounted bath taps Roger Wareham UK diy 1 August 6th 03 03:49 PM