DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Kitchen base unit fitting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/135718-kitchen-base-unit-fitting.html)

Gogs December 15th 05 01:37 AM

Kitchen base unit fitting

When you are fitting base units and one end is going to be hard up
against a wall what is the normal practice?

Do most people put in an end support panel so the door has more
clearance or is there something else you can do.

I have tried it hard against the wall and the door opens and closes ok,
maybe just scuffs the edge ever so slightly.

Also whats the best way to support them as the plastic legs dont look
upto much and I am going to be putting heavy tambour units on top.

Dave Plowman (News) December 15th 05 09:06 AM

Kitchen base unit fitting

In article .com,
Gogs wrote:
When you are fitting base units and one end is going to be hard up
against a wall what is the normal practice?

Do most people put in an end support panel so the door has more
clearance or is there something else you can do.

I have tried it hard against the wall and the door opens and closes ok,
maybe just scuffs the edge ever so slightly.

The hinges should allow adjustment to stop this.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Bacon December 15th 05 10:54 AM

Kitchen base unit fitting

Gogs wrote:
When you are fitting base units and one end is going to be hard up
against a wall what is the normal practice?

Do most people put in an end support panel so the door has more
clearance or is there something else you can do.

I put a narrow fillet of timber in there of the right type.

I have tried it hard against the wall

Oooh-er!

and the door opens and closes ok,
maybe just scuffs the edge ever so slightly.

It doesn't look quite right to me when the doors are right up
against the wall...

Also whats the best way to support them as the plastic legs dont look
upto much and I am going to be putting heavy tambour units on top.

They're actually quite strong. You could use timber and packing,
I suppose...

DJC December 15th 05 03:55 PM

Kitchen base unit fitting

Gogs wrote:
When you are fitting base units ...

Also whats the best way to support them as the plastic legs dont look
upto much and I am going to be putting heavy tambour units on top.

The legs should be strong enough. If they are anthing like Ikea units
then it is possible to fit more than the minimum nr of legs so the load
is evenly distributed.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Christian McArdle December 16th 05 05:59 PM

Kitchen base unit fitting

Also whats the best way to support them as the plastic legs dont look
upto much and I am going to be putting heavy tambour units on top.

They're very strong in compression. I'd be surprised if they couldn't hold a
car up. Certainly I have no issues with the granite tops and I'm sure a
couple of people could walk over the surface with no ill effect.

Christian.