robf

Default Upgrade to a Condensing boiler - yes or no?

Aside from my other post re. repairing existing boiler. I am tempted
by the higher efficiencies of the condensing boilers but are there
hidden problems in upgrading an existing installation.
I do not need a combined boiler - I have HW cylinder and pump /
valves.
Concerns I have are -:
Cleanliness of existing system - any prerequisites?
Will existing rads be ok - presuming that water temp is lower????
TIA.
Rob
robf

Thanks - very informative.

One point on the modulation - I have an external pump and valves ..
should I go for a boiler with internal pump so the boiler can vary it
as needed .. I presume that using the existing pump will not allow
full control over the flow by the boiler other than on / off.

So many boiler options .. Ideal Icos is on the short list
IMM

"robf" wrote in message
m...

Aside from my other post re. repairing existing boiler. I am tempted
by the higher efficiencies of the condensing boilers but are there
hidden problems in upgrading an existing installation.
I do not need a combined boiler - I have HW cylinder and pump /
valves.
Concerns I have are -:
Cleanliness of existing system - any prerequisites?

Have it flushed out. Put in flushing agent before scrapping it. Flush with
fresh water about three times.

Will existing rads be ok - presuming
that water temp is lower????

Some modern modulating condensing boilers are designed for existing 80C temp
installations. It modulates to suit. If it needs full 80C it gives it.
Most of the time it will be on part load

If you buy a boiler which modulates the internal pump, then just remove the
existing remote pump. Simple.

---

Ed Sirett

Andy Hall wrote:

On 23 Aug 2003 05:46:20 -0700, (robf) wrote:

Aside from my other post re. repairing existing boiler. I am tempted
by the higher efficiencies of the condensing boilers but are there
hidden problems in upgrading an existing installation.
I do not need a combined boiler - I have HW cylinder and pump /
valves.
Concerns I have are -:
Cleanliness of existing system - any prerequisites?
Will existing rads be ok - presuming that water temp is lower????
TIA.
Rob

There are a few areas to be considered, but overall, I think it is
worth the effort for the improved efficiency.

Most boiler manufacturers will, in any case recommend ot make it a
warranty condition that the system is thoroughly cleaned and ideally
an in line strainer is put on the return to the boiler.

If you do a Google search, I have a suggested a few times a very
effective way of thoroughly cleaning a system involving flushing at
each radiator and taking each radiator outside for a thorough flush
through.

A large proportion, though not all condensing boilers require to work
on a sealed system. This is no big deal and it is very easy to
convert an existing open vented system and to install the expansion
vessel and filling and pressure relief equipment.

One possible impact is that there may be seepage at the radiator
valves. If these are of significant age then it is worth changing
them and that is a cheap exercise.

You do need to properly provision for the condensate drain. The
condensate is acidic and must be delivered from the boiler through
plastic pipe to a suitable drain inside the house or if outside making
arrangements such that the condensate can't freeze.

There is a myth and much confusion in the heating and plumbing supply
industry (especially at the merchants) about the efficiency and
behaviour of condensing boilers.

The misinformation is that they must always operate below 52 to 54
degrees on the return side in order to realise efficiency, as though
some nirvana is reached at this temperature and that the radiators
must be organised to achieve this.

It isn't the case. The main difference compared with a conventional
boiler is that the heat exchanger is more substantial and the boiler
is designed to operate with a flow/return temperature difference of 20
degrees instead of about 10-12 as for conventional systems.

Conventional systems are (supposed to be) designed to work with 82
flow and 70 degree return temperatures and radiators sized
accordingly.

The reality of the efficiency of a condensing boiler is that it
increases with reduction in return temperature. It is the *rate* of
increase of efficiency with reduction of temperature that drops below
the dew point (54 degrees) - there is not some Holy Grail that is
discovered at this point.

So...... to maximise boiler efficiency, it follows that the
temperature should be made as low as possible.

However..... condensing boilers are able to modulate their output (by
controlling the fuel burning rate over a range. 10kW to 25kW is
very typical; some will do 4kW to 30kW.

During quite a bit of the heating season, a lower than maximum output
is enough. The effect of this is that the radiators will warm up but
perhaps only to 50 to 60 degrees flow and the return could be at 30 to
50. This is well down the curve of good efficiency.
When it is really cold, and full power is needed, the radiators may
have to warm up to their original design temperature of 80 degrees and
then the boiler won't be running quite as efficiently. However it is
for only part of the year and in spring and autumn it will be running
very efficiently.

You can improve the efficiency by increasing radiator sizes to provide
the same amount of heat at lower water temperatures. Thus you could
work with 70 degree flow and 50 return if you like.
I did this when I converted my system and achieved most of what was
needed by moving radiators around and replacing only three.

It is not mandatory, however.

I vote this goes in a condensing boilers FAQ.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk
Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:44:55 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

It has come up a few times, hasn't it.

Maybe if Phil is reading, he could pick this up.

Also, I think this is closely allied to your sealed system FAQ and it
would be worth having that or a pointer to it as well.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Ed Sirett

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

When yours is up, we can add xref links.
The only thing I feel called to query in the above was...

However..... condensing boilers are able to modulate their output (by
controlling the fuel burning rate over a range. 10kW to 25kW is
very typical; some will do 4kW to 30kW.

This is not the province of condensing boilers per se. Firstly modern
non-condensing boilers can and do modulate and there control systems
exploit this.
The difference is that by using forced premix burners (cf atmospheric
burners), they can modulate over a deeper range.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
www.diyfaq.org.uk
IMM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

I bit of work required though.

---

IMM

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

pre-mix burners are used in all boilers.

---

Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:43:19 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

The acid level is that of Coca Cola.

Approximately pH4, and metal pipe can't be used.

There is a myth and much confusion in the heating and plumbing supply
industry (especially at the merchants) about the efficiency and
behaviour of condensing boilers.

The misinformation is that they must always operate below 52 to 54
degrees on the return side in order to realise efficiency, as though
some nirvana is reached at this temperature and that the radiators
must be organised to achieve this.

It isn't the case. The main difference compared with a conventional
boiler is that the heat exchanger is more substantial and the boiler
is designed to operate with a flow/return temperature difference of 20
degrees instead of about 10-12 as for conventional systems.

Heat exchangers can be one piece downward or upward firing Some are boilers
are conventional rail burners, some are basic system boilers with an extra
condensing heat exchanger.

Heat exchangers can also be cylindrical like the Econox/Spiranox
burner/heat exchanger.

One piece heat-exchanger downward firing burners are self cleaning.

This does not necessarily mean that no cleaning is needed in the
burner/heat exchanger chamber. The manufacturer's instructions should
be followed.

Conventional systems are (supposed to be) designed to work with 82
flow and 70 degree return temperatures and radiators sized
accordingly.

The reality of the efficiency of a condensing boiler is that it
increases with reduction in return temperature. It is the *rate* of
increase of efficiency with reduction of temperature that drops below
the dew point (54 degrees) - there is not some Holy Grail that is
discovered at this point.

So...... to maximise boiler efficiency, it follows that the
temperature should be made as low as possible.

Without exceeding the flow/return delta T.

However..... condensing boilers are able to modulate their output (by
controlling the fuel burning rate over a range. 10kW to 25kW is
very typical; some will do 4kW to 30kW.

Some are fixed rate burners. "most" modulating burners have load
compensation control. In some boilers this can be disabled to give a fixed
rate output. Fixed rate outputs are beneficial to some thermal store and
UFH applications.

Some boilers have a DHW mode which give full unmodulated power when DHW is
calling and modulation on CH.

Some boilers have a high temp output for DHW and rads, and a low temp UFH
output.

During quite a bit of the heating season, a lower than maximum output
is enough. The effect of this is that the radiators will warm up but
perhaps only to 50 to 60 degrees flow and the return could be at 30 to
50. This is well down the curve of good efficiency.

Known as part load.

When it is really cold, and full power is needed, the radiators may
have to warm up to their original design temperature of 80 degrees and
then the boiler won't be running quite as efficiently. However it is
for only part of the year and in spring and autumn it will be running
very efficiently.

Once a house is up to temperature the burner will modulate to the more
efficient lower temp part load.

With weather compensation it may well also start at part load.

You can improve the efficiency by increasing radiator sizes to provide
the same amount of heat at lower water temperatures. Thus you could
work with 70 degree flow and 50 return if you like.
I did this when I converted my system and achieved most of what was
needed by moving radiators around and replacing only three.

It is not mandatory, however.

It is madatory in Sweden and Denmark since 1980 to have 60 flow 40 return.

That is irrelevant since this is a UK group.

No mention that super long flue lengths can be obtained using cheap plastic
drain pipe. This means boiler may be fitted anywhere in the house, not just
on outside walls.

That depends on what the manufacturer offers or specifies.

I vote this goes in a condensing boilers FAQ.

I bit of work required though.

Correction. A hell of lot of work required.

The objective was a simple and concise piece which covers most of the
salient points without introducing irrelevancies. One or two of
your points may be useful, once the spelling and grammar are
corrected, but that is all. The intent was not to make this into a
diatribe about peripheral issues.

---

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

news

"IMM" wrote in message

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

That was not implied. The heat exchanger does not require cleaning as
stated.

The manufacturer's instructions should
be followed.

As always.

[...]

That is merely another level of control and not necessarily directly
aplicable to a condesning boiler. A good compensator will start on full
heat until the building is up to temp. A boost function.

You can improve the efficiency by increasing radiator sizes to

provide
the same amount of heat at lower water temperatures. Thus you

could
work with 70 degree flow and 50 return if you like.
I did this when I converted my system and achieved most of what was
needed by moving radiators around and replacing only three.

It is not mandatory, however.

It is madatory in Sweden and Denmark since 1980 to have 60 flow 40

return.

That is irrelevant since this is a UK group.

It gives a good indication of the way matters are moving.

No mention that super long flue lengths can be obtained using cheap

plastic
drain pipe. This means boiler may be fitted anywhere in the house, not

just
on outside walls.

That depends on what the manufacturer offers or specifies.

This is great advantage and it was not mentioned at all.

I vote this goes in a condensing boilers FAQ.

I bit of work required though.

Correction. A hell of lot of work required.

The objective was a simple and concise piece which covers most of the
salient points without introducing irrelevancies. One or two of
your points may be useful, once the spelling and grammar are
corrected, but that is all.

Your so-called FAQable piece was sadly lacking. Now you know.

The intent was not to make this into a
diatribe about peripheral issues.

Like compensators?

---

IMM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That's casuistry IMHO.
I.e. a bit like the games lawyers play to get guilty client off on
technicalities.
Clearly all gas applinaces mix the air and gas - the relevant point
being that forced premix burners do so by a different mechanism.

My point is that they are not particular to condensing boilers, although
most are in condensing boilers. The Ideal Response has a pre-mix burners
yet is not a condenser.

---

Andy Hall

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:55:15 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

The intent was not to make this into a
diatribe about peripheral issues.

Is there anything else that is sensible and relevant that you want to
add? I've included some of your points (e.g. flexibility of flue
systems and modes of operation) as well as Ed's.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:55:15 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

The intent was not to make this into a
diatribe about peripheral issues.

Is there anything else that is sensible and relevant that you want to
add? I've included some of your points (e.g. flexibility of flue
systems and modes of operation) as well as Ed's.

Show us the draft.

---

New Condensing Boiler and Shower Bjorn UK diy 19 August 13th 03 03:54 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM
Gravity to fully pumped and oil to gas ! Andy Hall UK diy 5 July 13th 03 04:26 PM
Glow-worm programmer and boiler change Muddy Paws UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 02:55 PM