Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1 Gang - 2 Way Switch

Hi

I am new to Electrics, but have a *basic* understanding of electricity.
My scenario is that I want to install 2x Spotlights in my back garden.
I require them to either be switched on as a result of "heat
activation"(normal infrared activation build in the DIY spotlights) or
"permanent on"(i.e. I switch them on and they stay that way till I
switch them back to "heat activation".

I looked at possible ways to connect the 2 up and I require is a switch
(for the purpose of keeping controlling the scenarios above simple)
that can control switching off 2 live wires in 1 switch. In other
words, It should have in stead of a ON and OFF (like an conventional
switch) also a MIDDEL phase which controls the 2nd Live wire. Thus,
FOR ALL 2 LIGHTS OFF:

Live---------o o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)
o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)

FOR LIGHT 1 ON, LIGHT 2 MUST be OFF:

Live---------o____o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Glow)
o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)

FOR LIGHT 2 ON, LIGHT 1 MUST be OFF:

o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)
Live---------o____o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Glow)

What does one call this switch, and where can I buy one ??

Help will be appreciated

Arno van Rooyen

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's called a 3-position single pole c/o (change-over) with centre off,
but such a beast is not made for standard single wall panels, so use a 3A
toggle with thick bush (from RS, Rapid, Maplin or Farnell) and drill a
suitable hole in blank panel so that protrudimg bush has a securing nut.
Remember to run Earth wire to make metal thread and lever safe.
You may find an-all plastic gismo with a similar function available from any
auto spares shop.
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Jim Gregory wrote:

It's called a 3-position single pole c/o (change-over) with centre off,
but such a beast is not made for standard single wall panels, [...]

It's available in the various grid systems though - e.g. MK part K4899
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...5&rangeid=1026
(described as 2-way centre-off). This is easily built into a single
wall plate, or any other required combination.

--
Andy