DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   socket and light switch heights (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1350-socket-light-switch-heights.html)

Christian McArdle August 27th 03 11:35 AM

socket and light switch heights

I seem to remember the expression 'ventilated corridor' which to most
would mean two doors with an extractor fan between them?

In any case, they did tests and proved that the overwhelming majority of
food poisoning cases was due to a failure to wash hands. Airborne particles
just weren't a problem.

Hence the rule changes that you now don't need two doors, but emphatically
DO need a hand washing facility *before* you encounter the kitchen sink.

Christian.

David Robinson August 27th 03 01:16 PM

socket and light switch heights

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
Christian McArdle wrote:

[snip]

There have been "definitive" answers both ways now - so which is it?

I have a house built in 1950. I am re-wiring it. Can I put the
switches and sockets where I like, or do they have to be at the
heights suggested in the latest wiring and building regs?

My preference is to stick with the existing heights, which are
probably a bit too low for sockets and a bit too high for switches,
according to the regulations.

And another question: let's say (for argument's sake) that I've
already started re-wiring, and the new sockets (intentionally) don't
match the height regulations. What happens?

cheers,
David.

The Natural Philosopher August 27th 03 02:14 PM

socket and light switch heights

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

Christian McArdle wrote:

My builder is telling me that building regs now states that socket and
switch heights should be greater than 450mm and less than 1200mm from the
finished floor level.

I thought it only applied to rooms likely to be used by visitors (or any
room if expected to be occupied by disabled persons). Upstairs rooms,
kitchens etc. were exempt. I may well be wrong.

You are. I thought so to, and had to move the ***ing lot after the
Inspector called.

Wheelchair access applies to one entrance on one storey and to get to
one bog.

Electrical regs apply throughout. Presumably even in the loft. :-)

This isn't in any 'Electrical regs' though.

Well building comntrol regs then.

Hugo Nebula August 27th 03 07:55 PM

socket and light switch heights

On 27 Aug 2003 05:16:15 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
(David Robinson) randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

There have been "definitive" answers both ways now - so which is it?

I have a house built in 1950. I am re-wiring it. Can I put the
switches and sockets where I like, or do they have to be at the
heights suggested in the latest wiring and building regs?

The guidelines to provide sockets, switches, etc at certain heights
are contained in Approved Document 'M', which gives guidance on ways
of complying with the requirements of Part M of Schedule 1 of the
Building Regulations 2000 (as amended). This particular Part
specifically states "The requirements of this Part do not apply to -
(a) a material alteration;
(b) an extension to a dwelling, or any other extension which does not
include a ground storey".

Under Regulation 4, if you are altering a building which doesn't
comply (rather than changing its use), then there's no obligation to
"improve" it. If the building was built before the requirements came
into force (in this case 1999), then even if they happen to meet the
current guidelines, the requirement can't be applied retrospectively.

In other words, there's no control over the height of your sockets or
switches.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

Mark Evans September 10th 03 10:01 PM

socket and light switch heights

David wrote:

LOL. I'd never heard about this and my immediate thought was yes,
it's the PC brigade gone mad again; but then I thought - with regard
to light switches at least, what's wrong with positioning them at 1m
height? It's just that we're conditioned to light switches being at
shoulder height, for no good reason that I can see (cue for somebody
to post a good reason!). So why not?

Means you can't put anything taller than a metre against that bit
of wall.