Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

Default Flat Roof Replacement

The flat roof over my attached garage is becoming due for replacement
and I am considering the options. Does anyone have experience of the
fibreglass type roofing that can be used on flat roofs today? It's
suggested that this type, unlike normal felt, is a one-off job and never
needs replacing. Is this correct?

Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y
someone here

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
The flat roof over my attached garage is becoming due for replacement
and I am considering the options. Does anyone have experience of the
fibreglass type roofing that can be used on flat roofs today? It's
suggested that this type, unlike normal felt, is a one-off job and never
needs replacing. Is this correct?

Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.
Fibre-glass will degrade in sunlight so will only be good for twenty years
(ish)
Tuf-dek or other proprietary branded 'poly-fibre-glass-plastic' roofing
products usually come
with a twenty to thirty year guarantee.

Price increases proportionatly. Difficulty of applying correctly also
increases.

Caveat Emptor.

Choose your fibreglass company and ask to see some of their work and talk to
the buildings owner.

'Swot I did

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

someone here wrote:
Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.

Only 10? If it's done properly, it ought to last for
*at least* 20 years, possibly 30.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"Uno Hoo!" wrote

Does anyone have experience of the
fibreglass type roofing....? It's
suggested that this type.....never
needs replacing.

Hahaha, very funny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

someone here wrote:
"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Dave - very helpful.

Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

Chris Bacon wrote:
someone here wrote:

Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.

Only 10? If it's done properly, it ought to last for
*at least* 20 years, possibly 30.

Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Uno Hoo! wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
someone here wrote:
Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.

Only 10? If it's done properly, it ought to last for
*at least* 20 years, possibly 30.

Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on

I very much disagree with the practice of putting chippings, etc. on
felt roofs.

- but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

No idea. Sounds as if it might be a paint-on coating applied as a bodge
to stop leaks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

It's a reflective layer to reflect the sun's radiation / UV.
But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?
They just mean the roof gets punctured when you walk on it.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?

UV protection?

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Taylor

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. ..
But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?

UV protection?

Christian.

The chippings are required on cheaper BS747 type bitumen felt roofs in order
to achieve AA rating for spread of flame. Under Building Regulation B4, any
roof within 6m of a boundary needs to be AA rating. The more expensive
"High Performance" mineral-surfaced felts comply with AA rating without
needing chippings.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
someone here

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Chris Bacon wrote:
someone here wrote:

Roofing felt/bitumen should last ten years.

Only 10? If it's done properly, it ought to last for
*at least* 20 years, possibly 30.

Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

Solar Reflective paint.

http://www.interexint.co.uk/waterp4.htm

prevents the degradation by UV radiation of the bitumen and felt.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
someone here

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

It's a reflective layer to reflect the sun's radiation / UV.
But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?
They just mean the roof gets punctured when you walk on it.

Two reasons:
Reflect the UV radiation from the bitumen/felt to prevent degradation

and
Increase the surface area for the evaporation of rain water

You shouldn't puncture the roof because you shouldn't be walking on it!

If you want to walk on the roof then you should use solar reflective paint
or a resinous compound top coat.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

someone here wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Someone wrote, but the attributions were munged, as is so sadly
common:
Yes I agree. The felt roof that I am about to replace has been on since
I bought the house in 1986. It never had stones on - but rather a
'silver' coloured rubberised coating - any idea what that may be?

It's a reflective layer to reflect the sun's radiation / UV.
But the way, what are the stones for that you sometimes see ?
They just mean the roof gets punctured when you walk on it.

Increase the surface area for the evaporation of rain water

Why does that help?