Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vass

Default bath sealant - 2 layers?

Hi
Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

thanks
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

It will lift, I'd do the whole lot again. Sorry!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Vass wrote:
Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

It'll be fine unless the first one has been contaminated with
something (soap, etc.).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
Vass wrote:
Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

It'll be fine unless the first one has been contaminated with
something (soap, etc.).

Build it up like a Welder would make a thick bead, five lines, three
lines, two lines and finally one line. Pascal's triangle.

O O
O O O
OOOOO

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Vass" wrote in message
Hi
Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

When I moved into my house in 1990 the sealant behind the sink had peeled
away from the tiles slightly and gone mouldy in th gap. As I was extremely
poor at the time I cleaned it up and just covered over the top with a
thicker bead of kitchen and bathroom sealant. Lasted fine until the kitchen
was redone 9 years later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges

Vass wrote:
Hi
Can I run a second bead of sealant over a newly cured first bead ?
(gap was a bit large for a single bead)
will it stick to the first bead of will it lift in time?

thanks

A clean fresh layer is fine - the new stuff will stick perfectly. If
it's a bit older you might want to trim a little bit off the get a good
bond.

When I had a big gap to deal with (bath + uneven wall) I (under)filled
the gap roughly, didn't smooth off, and went back the next day to put in
a smoothed, shaped topcoat. There's no way to get them apart now.

A bit of pressure on the second coat (just from smoothing it) will help
it stick.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You're right. It is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rods per row. I sit too far from the
monitor,
Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

wrote:
You're right. It is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 rods per row. I sit too far from the
monitor,
Chris.

It's more the *contents* of the rows... See
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PascalsTriangle.html for further info,
although I don't think it'll help the OP with sealing his bath so
perhaps this is getting a tad OT... ;-)

Mathew

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Bath sealant Lawrie UK diy 4 February 25th 04 09:57 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
bathroom sealant Reestit Mutton UK diy 13 December 1st 03 10:03 AM