Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refused plannig permission for driveway

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on a refused
planning application. It was for turning part of my front garden
(approx 40m x 7m wide) into a parking area. It was recently refused due

to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided (we can) and that we would potentially
have to drive near the roots of a protected tree. At the monent we are
having to park on a busy main road and are obstructing the visability
for other drivers but despite discussing this with highways they would
not budge from their decision. Has anyone had any experience of this as

we don't know what to do next. Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Even if an 'accident' did happen they still say we can't turn a vehicle
in the space provided - even though we can!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 28 Nov 2005 05:02:52 -0800, wrote:

Even if an 'accident' did happen they still say we can't turn a vehicle
in the space provided - even though we can!

Talk to your councillor and ask them to arrange a visit with them and
somebody from planning.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bland

wrote in message
ups.com...
Even if an 'accident' did happen they still say we can't turn a vehicle
in the space provided - even though we can!

1. The important words might be "busy main road". The highways will
probably see this as allowing several cars to park with extra traffic
let the house to a several folk all with their own cars.
2. Are you in a conservation area
3. Googling (in UK) for "parking on front gardens" throws up a lot of
stuff, so it seems to be a hot topic for local government at this point in
time. I imagine they have had recommendations from higher levels of
government.

bland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for your replies!

We're not in a conservation area. You could be right about it being a
'hot topic' etc as the enviroment agency have been talking about people
swapping lawns for hardstandings and the inpact on wildlife etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on a refused
planning application. It was for turning part of my front garden
(approx 40m x 7m wide) into a parking area. It was recently refused due

to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided (we can)

Whether you can turn the vehicle you currently own is irrelevant. The
planners have to allow for future changes of ownership, so what they mean is
that there is insufficient room to turn a standardised vehicle that
represents X% of vehicles on the road, where X is probably around 95%.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Our car is a Landrover freelander - not the smallest of cars! - but we
can do a three point turn. Could anyone advise if we were to resubmit
plans with a turntable would it have to go straight to appeal or are
you given a chance to resubmit.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , owain47125
@stirlingcity.coo.uk says...
Nobody wrote:
It was recently refused due
to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided

Why do you have to turn it around anyway?

Because you're not allowed to / the highways dept don't like you to
reverse your car on to a main road.

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend of mine at work has hardstanding for 3 cars at the rear of his
property, he submitted planning permision for a garage, it was refused
on an objection by the highways department that by building a garage he
would reduce the equivelent parking space to 2 cars from 3, this they
claim will increase the possibility of people parking in the road. He
has ignored the refusal and is building it anyway it will be
interesting to see if they check up on him and if so what the outcome
would be

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It seems that you can't win whatever you do, they don't want you
parking on the road yet they won't allow you to park on your own land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Nobody wrote:
It was recently refused due
to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided

Why do you have to turn it around anyway?

Because you're not allowed to / the highways dept don't like you to
reverse your car on to a main road.

What's wrong with doing it the correct way - ie reversing in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...

A friend of mine at work has hardstanding for 3 cars at the rear of his
property, he submitted planning permision for a garage, it was refused
on an objection by the highways department that by building a garage he
would reduce the equivelent parking space to 2 cars from 3, this they
claim will increase the possibility of people parking in the road. He
has ignored the refusal and is building it anyway it will be
interesting to see if they check up on him and if so what the outcome
would be

They can make him pull the garage down. If it gets through without them
noticing, in years to come he may need to demolish it when selling, if a
sharp lawyer looks into it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.

Sue them for their assumption that you're a bad driver? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Set Square wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

But reversing in on a main road will hold up traffic so no different to
reversing out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article . com,
wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.

But reversing in on a main road will hold up traffic so no different to
reversing out.

Obviously you are not a driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Owain wrote:
Nobody wrote:
It was recently refused due
to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided
Why do you have to turn it around anyway?

Because you're not allowed to / the highways dept don't like you to
reverse your car on to a main road.

What's wrong with doing it the correct way - ie reversing in?

AIUI; the 'correct' aka Prescot-ODPM way necessitates a
means of driving _in_ and _out_ to the front. Reversing isn't
permitted for planning-purposes. Your 'correct' way; reverse in
then drive front-wise out - which I do - is permitted with
'grandfather' rights.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Séan Connolly

I once saw a garden with a turntable in, so as to drive in and out the
right way round.

Another bizarre device they have around here basically allows you to park
one car on top of the other on a kind of rotating lift. How it works I have
no idea! It looks all very Thunderbirds ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

A friend of mine at work has hardstanding for 3 cars at the rear of his
property, he submitted planning permision for a garage, it was refused
on an objection by the highways department that by building a garage he
would reduce the equivelent parking space to 2 cars from 3, this they
claim will increase the possibility of people parking in the road. He
has ignored the refusal and is building it anyway it will be
interesting to see if they check up on him and if so what the outcome
would be

They can make him pull the garage down. If it gets through without them
noticing, in years to come he may need to demolish it when selling, if a
sharp lawyer looks into it.

ISTR planning permission can't be enforced after a certain number of
years.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Cartmell wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.

But reversing in on a main road will hold up traffic so no different to
reversing out.

Obviously you are not a driver.

Yes, I am a driver. If you want to reverse into your drive then you'll
have to make sure there is no traffic behind you which is going to be
hard on a main road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article .com,
wrote:

John Cartmell wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

Set Square wrote:
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Rob Morley
wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition
for granting planning permission.

But reversing in on a main road will hold up traffic so no different to
reversing out.

Obviously you are not a driver.

Yes, I am a driver. If you want to reverse into your drive then you'll have
to make sure there is no traffic behind you which is going to be hard on a
main road.

But not the potential hold up that you get from someone trying to reverse into
a traffic stream.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

In message , John Cartmell
writes
In article . com,
wrote:

Set Square wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

I totally agree - but it's pretty difficult to enforce as a condition for
granting planning permission.

But reversing in on a main road will hold up traffic so no different to
reversing out.

Obviously you are not a driver.

I think someone (else!) needs to check the highway code, esp with regard
to reversing from a minor to a major road.

Whilst a driveway isn't specifically a road, the intent is clear.

Even disregarding that, as others posters have pointed out, I'd much
rather reverse "out of traffic" than into it.
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 473054 20051129 093216 John Cartmell wrote:
In article ,
Owain wrote:
Nobody wrote:
It was recently refused due
to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided
Why do you have to turn it around anyway?

Because you're not allowed to / the highways dept don't like you to
reverse your car on to a main road.

What's wrong with doing it the correct way - ie reversing in?

Reversing into your drive probably means reversing into the garage as well,
and it will soon be full of fumes and soot..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Atty

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:20:57 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , owain47125
says...
Nobody wrote:
It was recently refused due
to the highways dept stating that there was no way we could turn our
car round in the room provided
Why do you have to turn it around anyway?

Because you're not allowed to / the highways dept don't like you to
reverse your car on to a main road.

So reverse in rather than reversing out - easier for unloading the
shopping too.

You don't have the choice. I went and looked at the original planning
file for converting this place into a house from the planning office and
making it possible to turn a car round was a condition of the planning
permission.

Mind you, it was on the A46 then.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)