DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mounting box for double socket (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/132793-mounting-box-double-socket.html)

Blair November 25th 05 04:04 PM

Mounting box for double socket

Where do I obtain the mounting boxes which have fittings to mount onto
plasterboard?
Blair

Nick November 25th 05 04:08 PM

"Blair" wrote in message
Where do I obtain the mounting boxes which have fittings to mount onto
plasterboard?
Blair

B and Q or any other shed - plasterboard boxes ! or also known as dry
lining boxes - about £1-50 to £3 depending on pack size...

Nick

Dave Plowman (News) November 25th 05 05:18 PM

Mounting box for double socket

In article ,
Blair wrote:
Where do I obtain the mounting boxes which have fittings to mount onto
plasterboard?

Near anywhere - they're called dry lining boxes. However, they're more
expensive than steel ones and not so neat - you'll see their lip behind
the socket. And this looks dreadful with brass, etc, sockets, or those
super slim ones.

The other way is to screw battens to the back of the plasterboard either
side then screw a metal box to those. Use brass screws through the
plasterboard then make good with filler. You can often get away with 'no
nails' if the battens are clamped and it's left to set.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel November 25th 05 09:18 PM

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
However, they're more
expensive than steel ones and not so neat - you'll see their lip behind
the socket. And this looks dreadful with brass, etc, sockets, or those
super slim ones.

Not a problem if you skim the plasterboard after putting the box in.

--
Andrew Gabriel

ARWadsworth November 25th 05 10:29 PM

Mounting box for double socket

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
However, they're more
expensive than steel ones and not so neat - you'll see their lip behind
the socket. And this looks dreadful with brass, etc, sockets, or those
super slim ones.

Not a problem if you skim the plasterboard after putting the box in.

--
Andrew Gabriel

"Dry liners" are a product of the Devil regardless of fitting before or
after skimming.

Metal back boxes and a wooden batten wins every time for a proper job.

Adam

tonytrans November 29th 05 07:56 PM

Agree with Adam, but the real devil is dry lining itself - a really naff way of making a wall!
Tony

Dave Plowman (News) November 30th 05 01:37 AM

tonytrans wrote:
Agree with Adam, but the real devil is dry lining itself - a really
naff way of making a wall!

Yes, but in this context it also includes stud partition walls.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.