Posted to uk.d-i-y
SilverDales

Default Folding shower screen or curtain and pole?

Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

"SilverDales" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

I installed a new bathroom some seven years ago and made the decision to fit
a 'four-fold' folding screen. It works very efficiently, and folds neatly
back against the wall when not in use. Shower curtains are a pain in the
neck - the down-draft created by the shower spray causes the curtains to
suck in and stick to your body - and they hold the damp after the shower.
They become mildewed after a while and just look awful. Go for a screen!

Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

SilverDales wrote:
Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

I've fitted folding screens; they are the way to go - far more effective
than mildew-ridden curtains.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

SilverDales wrote:
Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

In a very similar situation, we chose a Z-fold screen with four
aluminium framed glass panels. It folds down into a fairly slim stack,
which then swings back to the wall giving full access to the bath taps
and shower unit.

We've been well pleased with it for the past 15 years or so, but that is
too long ago to be able to tell you the specific make or model. The
important things are that it's solidly made and solidly mounted to the
wall, and that it's lined up correctly in relation to the edge of the
bath.

We are just about to decide on a shower screen for new bath in a
different house, a Z-fold screen is still the front runner. Since it
won't need to fold right back to the wall this time, we might go for one
that has the first panel rigidly mounted to the wall, plus two or three
more fold-out panels.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith G. Powell

"Ian White" wrote in message
SilverDales wrote:
Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

If you do go for curtains as I have, using a "standard" curtain rail which
can be bent/curved to suit(suite?) the shower enclosure, then make sure the
curtains have weights at the bottom so they have less tendency to cling to
you and also do not shower using soap - use only detergent based shower
liquids/gels - so you get much less if no mould or soap gunge on your
curtains and shower walls - also none of that black mould in the drain.
Using detergents only makes it easier to clan and requires less frequnt
cleaning. Anyway the curtains can easily cleaned in the washing machine as
necessary.

Keith G. Powell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Keith G. Powell wrote:

If you do go for curtains as I have, using a "standard" curtain rail which
can be bent/curved to suit(suite?) the shower enclosure, then make sure the
curtains have weights at the bottom so they have less tendency to cling to
you and also do not shower using soap - use only detergent based shower
liquids/gels - so you get much less if no mould or soap gunge on your
curtains and shower walls - also none of that black mould in the drain.
Using detergents only makes it easier to clan and requires less frequnt
cleaning. Anyway the curtains can easily cleaned in the washing machine as
necessary.

All of which IMHO sound very good reasons not to choose a curtain! :-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SilverDales

Ok thanks for all your replies guys, we have gone for the 4 fold screen
in silver.
Once again thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keith G. Powell

"Lobster" wrote in message
Keith G. Powell wrote:

If you do go for curtains as I have, using a "standard" curtain rail
which can be bent/curved to suit(suite?) the shower enclosure, then make
sure the curtains have weights at the bottom so they have less tendency
to cling to you and also do not shower using soap - use only detergent
based shower liquids/gels - so you get much less if no mould or soap
gunge on your curtains and shower walls - also none of that black mould
in the drain. Using detergents only makes it easier to clan and requires
less frequnt cleaning. Anyway the curtains can easily cleaned in the
washing machine as necessary.

All of which IMHO sound very good reasons not to choose a curtain! :-)

David

Possibly?

But I don't get cold floppy curtain wrapping about my legs and it was
considerably cheaper and easier to fit than screens.

The use of detergent is also apllicable to a screens based system.

But yes, go for a screen if you can afford it and fit it. But still use
detregents :-)

Keith G. Powell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SilverDales wrote:
Hi all, we have been doing the bathroom and we have a small dilema. We
are trying to go for a more neater cleaner look and have a new electric
shower but are unsure over wether to have a pole and curtain or a
screen. If we have a screen it would have to be folding so that my
wife can lean over the bath to do her hair with the mixer shower. It
couldn't be a solid screen because of the position of the door, if
someone opened the door when the screen was back it would bang into it.
But our experience with curtains is they do get dirty quickly.
any ideas?

I installed a 4-panel folding screen about 4 years ago and it works
fine. No leaks anywhere. It wasn't cheap and the glass needs a bit of
work to keep clean but I've been happy with it.

The only thing is I wish I'd gone for the bigger version as I still get
some water over-shooting and hitting the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:40:24 -0000, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

"SilverDales" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Folding screens have a downside as well. We get leaks under the
screen and water pours onto the floor. I put this down to the fact
that the base of the screen is straight and the bath is slightely
curved.

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I went for one of these as I came across a half-price offer and it's
great. Seals brilliantly against the wall where curtains tend to leak
and gives easy access to bath. I have had swinging panel bath screens
in the past and sooner or later they all start to leak.

http://www.bathstore.com/_applicatio...curtain+screen

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uno Hoo!

wrote:

"SilverDales" wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

You need to position the screen carefully and make sure that the inner
side
of the screen overhangs the inside of the bath - so that water runs
straight
off the screens and into the bath - rather than down the screens and under
and over the outside edge of the bath! My four-fold screen is never
straight
when it's in use. The first screen out from the wall is angled in to meet
the inside edge of the bath.

Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White

Kev wrote:

Folding screens have a downside as well. We get leaks under the
screen and water pours onto the floor. I put this down to the fact
that the base of the screen is straight and the bath is slightely
curved.

You need to position the screen carefully and make sure that the inner
side of the screen overhangs the inside of the bath - so that water
runs straight off the screens and into the bath - rather than down the
screens and under and over the outside edge of the bath!

Positioning relative to the highest point on the edge of the bath is
*very* important, and will obviously be more critical with a roll-edge
bath.

My four-fold screen is never straight when it's in use.The first
screen out from the wall is angled in to meet the inside edge of the
bath.

Ours is never quite straight either, but it sits right on or just inside
of the highest point, and doesn't overhang the inside edge at all.

When I buy the next one for this new house, I'll make sure it is fully
adjustable both horizontally and vertically (or that it can be DIYed to
make it adjustable).

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y
SilverDales

Hi I have been positioning the screen so the rubber seal at the bottom
is just on the inside edge of the bath thus aiding water run off onto
the bath and not onto the lip where it might sneak under through any
gaps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:52:03 -0000, "Uno Hoo!"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Folding screens have a downside as well. We get leaks under the
screen and water pours onto the floor. I put this down to the fact
that the base of the screen is straight and the bath is slightely
curved.

You need to position the screen carefully and make sure that the inner
side
of the screen overhangs the inside of the bath - so that water runs
straight
off the screens and into the bath - rather than down the screens and under
and over the outside edge of the bath! My four-fold screen is never
straight
when it's in use. The first screen out from the wall is angled in to meet
the inside edge of the bath.

I think mine has a different construction from yours. It has a
straight bar which hinges down to lay on the bath edge. Then you open
out the screen which fits into the top edge of the bar.

The bar has a L section at the top and a rubber seal on the bottom.
Therefore the screen has to run straight along the bath.

Mark.