Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

Default 1 more carpet fitting question...

Grippers - do I need them?

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top -
and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in
place - a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as
it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto
it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have
gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have
grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it
harder)

Suggestions?

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers - can you get away with
having one every 2 metres or so, or is it suggested to keep a continuous
line?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , mo
writes
Grippers - do I need them?

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top -
and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in
place - a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as
it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto
it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have
gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have
grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it
harder)

Suggestions?

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers - can you get away with
having one every 2 metres or so, or is it suggested to keep a continuous
line?

Just buy them

do the job properly otherwise you'll regret the pigs ear you made of the
job

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , mo
writes
Grippers - do I need them?

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top -
and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in
place

It will be pretty dreadful result I should think.

- a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as
it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto
it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have
gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have
grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it
harder)

Suggestions?

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers - can you get away with
having one every 2 metres or so, or is it suggested to keep a continuous
line?

Oh FFS, how much was the carpet and underlay - how much will the
Gripperrods be,

By them, do the job properly, otherwise you will regret it (ha'porth of
tar and all that)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , "mo"
nospam says...
Grippers - do I need them?

Not if you want to do a crap job.

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top -
and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in
place - a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as

Only a few?

it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto
it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have
gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have
grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it
harder)

What difference will that make?

Suggestions?

Use gripper.

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers - can you get away with
having one every 2 metres or so, or is it suggested to keep a continuous
line?

Why don't you want to do it properly? Carpet gripper is cheap and makes
it much easier to lay a carpet so it looks good and stays looking good.
Also use a proper metal strip for the threshold so it stays flat and
doesn't fray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work out
exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in under an
hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and how for next time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work
out exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in
under an hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and
how for next time!

are you sure you're not a woman? and blond at that. :-)

The place where you bought the carpet would have supplied and fitted
carpet/underlay and grippers, for what you've laid out up to now.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , mo
writes
Grippers - do I need them?

I plan to just roll out the underlay and then just roll the carpet on top -
and if needed knock in a couple of nails in all corners to hold it in
place - a few carpet fitting guides I am reading online suggest grippers as
it will stop the carpet from having 'bumps' when you roll furniture onto
it..... the carpets fitted aroudn the house that were done by pros do have
gripeprs and look nice, equally carpet around other rooms don't have
grippers and look fine (but dont have udnerlay - which is what will make it
harder)

Suggestions?

I don't much fancy buying loads of rods of grippers

500ft for about £30 - have a look on ebay.

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes
mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work
out exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in
under an hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and
how for next time!

are you sure you're not a woman? and blond at that. :-)

The place where you bought the carpet would have supplied and fitted
carpet/underlay and grippers, for what you've laid out up to now.

Since we don't know what he has paid so far how can we judge. There is
no such thing as 'free fitting' or 'free grippers' etc. it's all in
the price somewhere.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work
out exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in
under an hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and
how for next time!

are you sure you're not a woman? and blond at that. :-)

The place where you bought the carpet would have supplied and fitted
carpet/underlay and grippers, for what you've laid out up to now.

Indeed! I bought the carpet on Sunday and I had 'unforseen' problems which
meant I would have missed any date had I agreed for that anyway (would have
been within 1 or 2 days fitting) - so its prob worked out a bit easier for
me by not ordering delivery at the time.

I haven't laid out anything yet for fitting......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

chris French wrote:
In message , The3rd
Earl Of Derby writes

mo wrote:

Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work
out exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in
under an hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and
how for next time!

are you sure you're not a woman? and blond at that. :-)

The place where you bought the carpet would have supplied and fitted
carpet/underlay and grippers, for what you've laid out up to now.

Since we don't know what he has paid so far how can we judge. There is
no such thing as 'free fitting' or 'free grippers' etc. it's all in
the price somewhere.

Any time I've bought carpet, they've always offered to fit gripper rods
and underlay for no extra cost, as long as I bought them from the place
- they usually charge a lot more for the materials though, so I've
always ended up doing the gripper rods and underlay myself and just
getting them to fit the carpet (I might try fitting myself next time as
we're doing the small spare room, an ideal room to mess up on my first
attempt!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article , "mo" nospam says...

mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work out
exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc

Lay them a quarter inch from the skirting, spikes facing up and towards
the skirting. Bang in the nails. Job done.

---- |
|| |
/ || / |
/ || / |
-------------------- |
| / |
| / |
------------\/------ --------------
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

In article , "mo" nospam says...

mo wrote:

Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work out
exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc

Lay them a quarter inch from the skirting, spikes facing up and towards
the skirting. Bang in the nails. Job done.

---- |
|| |
/ || / |
/ || / |
-------------------- |
| / |
| / |
------------\/------ --------------

That is the most beautiful piece of ASCII art I've ever seen. Well done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
news

Any time I've bought carpet, they've always offered to fit gripper rods
and underlay for no extra cost, as long as I bought them from the place -
they usually charge a lot more for the materials though, so I've always
ended up doing the gripper rods and underlay myself and just getting them
to fit the carpet (I might try fitting myself next time as we're doing the
small spare room, an ideal room to mess up on my first attempt!)

I have never had underlay in my room before so I dont wanna attemot the
gripepr stuff myself - i wil lwatch and learn.

Still I wont miss having to lug around all the carpet, making it fit, cut it
and getting sweaty

Anyhow - i will have the real work of reassmbling my bed and wardrobe
afterwards!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

mo wrote:
"Richard Conway" wrote in message
news

Any time I've bought carpet, they've always offered to fit gripper rods
and underlay for no extra cost, as long as I bought them from the place -
they usually charge a lot more for the materials though, so I've always
ended up doing the gripper rods and underlay myself and just getting them
to fit the carpet (I might try fitting myself next time as we're doing the
small spare room, an ideal room to mess up on my first attempt!)

I have never had underlay in my room before so I dont wanna attemot the
gripepr stuff myself - i wil lwatch and learn.

It really is easy - if you ask here how to do it I'm sure several people
(including me) will post details and you can choose the best bits from
each!

Still I wont miss having to lug around all the carpet, making it fit, cut it
and getting sweaty

Never done that bit, but I'm going to have a go next time!

Anyhow - i will have the real work of reassmbling my bed and wardrobe
afterwards!

Sure enough, thats where the fun starts!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , mo
writes

500ft for about £30 - have a look on ebay.

Or www.screwfix.com for a bit more.

I had a quote from Carpetright which included about 100m2 of cheapo
carpet for 3.99 / m2, less 10% discount, total 354 GBP including VAT.
Fine so far; that's all in their adverts to draw in the punters...

Then the small print... another 300 for underlay, but what really took
the biscuit was 230 GBP for 143m of gripper rods!! (then another 250 GBP
to fit everything).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

mo wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
mo wrote:
Grippers - do I need them?

For fitted carpet, it's far better to use them, unless
the carpet is to be stuck down. They're cheap, you know.

Paying someone £25 to do it for me, It will prob take me ages to work out
exactly how to put the grippers in etc etc - he can prob do it in under an
hour, i will make a note to watch eactly what he does and how for next time!

Well done. That's a good 80% of the way there (for next time!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

Oh well, its finally done.
Guy did it in way less than 1 hour. Cost me £35 for labour and the gripper
rods in the end. Worth it I reckon.

I could not have done a job anywhere near as good because he had a couple
of tools I didnt (knee kicker thing to stretch, and also a nifty kinfe type
thing - its like a stanley knife by slides along the floor - ensuring your
cut is always perfectly straight with the ground (essential for next time I
think))

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , mo
writes

500ft for about £30 - have a look on ebay.

Or
www.screwfix.com for a bit more.

£28.94 delivered from Screwfix.