DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint not drying on previously waxed doors (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/129640-paint-not-drying-previously-waxed-doors.html)

[email protected] November 16th 05 03:29 PM

Paint not drying on previously waxed doors

We stupidly mistook some interior wood panel doors as untreated but now
realise that they had been waxed many years ago. The oil-based gloss we
painted on them is taking ages to dry and I wondered if anyone had any
tips or advice.

The options I'd thought of a

1. Be patient, wait for the paint to dry and try applying a second
coat.
2. Replace the doors with new ones.
3. Try and strip off the still tacky paint, then try and strip off the
wax (if so, how?)

I don't really want to go for option 2; option 3 would I guess be messy
and time-consuming; I suppose I'm hoping that people will recommend
going for option 1!

Brett

Stuart Noble November 16th 05 04:21 PM

wrote:
We stupidly mistook some interior wood panel doors as untreated but now
realise that they had been waxed many years ago. The oil-based gloss we
painted on them is taking ages to dry and I wondered if anyone had any
tips or advice.

The options I'd thought of a

1. Be patient, wait for the paint to dry and try applying a second
coat.
2. Replace the doors with new ones.
3. Try and strip off the still tacky paint, then try and strip off the
wax (if so, how?)

I don't really want to go for option 2; option 3 would I guess be messy
and time-consuming; I suppose I'm hoping that people will recommend
going for option 1!

Brett

Try rubbing it down with coarse wire wool and white spirit, which should
be a solvent for the paint and the wax. This gets the gunk off which
then gets absorbed into the wire wool. A relatively clean operation.
Once that dries, the oil paint should take ok.

Andy Dingley November 16th 05 05:09 PM

On 16 Nov 2005 07:29:16 -0800, wrote:

We stupidly mistook some interior wood panel doors as untreated but now
realise that they had been waxed many years ago.

White spirit and wire wool to remove the affected paint.

Coat of shellac to seal it (shellac is one of the few things that will
cover wax).

Paint over the shellac as normal.

Do a trial piece first.