Paul Andrews

Default filling in holes in door cavity

We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Paul

Rob Morley

In article , ac297
@dial.pipex.commmmm says...
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Expanding PU foam.

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , ac297
@dial.pipex.commmmm says...
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

There are some 6mm softwood plugs/dowels available from B&Q. For
really deep holes I buy a pack of Bamboo Chop Stcks from ASDA at
£0.49p. Cut it to the depth required, soak it in PVA glue and whack it
in.

Chris.

Rick

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:20:08 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , ac297
says...
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Expanding PU foam.

The foam (from B&Q) will cost about the same as a new door from B&Q

Rick

sPoNiX

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:11:14 GMT, "Paul Andrews"
wrote:

We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Paul

Toilet paper soaked in a PVA solution for a few hours! Plug the hole
with this to just below the surface then allow to dry. Then, finish
with plaster/filler.

sponix

Séan Connolly

Toilet paper soaked in a PVA solution for a few hours! Plug the hole
with this to just below the surface then allow to dry. Then, finish
with plaster/filler.

Is there actually anything that PVA can't be used for ?

Paul Andrews

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before

get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Paul

Thanks guys for the interesting ideas. I'll probably go with the dowel idea
(I like the idea of somethin 'solid' that will fit the hole and can be glued
to the inside of the door.

Paul

sPoNiX

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:10:36 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Toilet paper soaked in a PVA solution for a few hours! Plug the hole
with this to just below the surface then allow to dry. Then, finish
with plaster/filler.

Is there actually anything that PVA can't be used for ?

You can't make a souffle using PVA.
Weatherlawyer

sPoNiX wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:10:36 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Is there actually anything that PVA can't be used for ?

You can't make a souffle using PVA.

You can but will probably come unstuck.

Weatherlawyer

Paul Andrews wrote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
Thanks guys for the interesting ideas. I'll probably go with the dowel idea
(I like the idea of somethin 'solid' that will fit the hole and can be glued
to the inside of the door.

Then, when you want the job done properly, make a hole large enough to
insert a slip of card or hardboard on a piece of string.

Pull the card tight after liberally coating one face with the
ubiquitous
PVA (actuay a mastic would do better) and fix in position with a stick
or
wedge while it sets.

Then you need filler. Two or three coats.

1/2 hour plus two or three tea-breaks.

Weatherlawyer

Son of a bitch stupid newsgroup poster.
Damn it to hell!

Séan Connolly

You can but will probably come unstuck.

Having seen the amount of empty PVA containers in the skip outside our house
after the builders finished, I suspect that it is now made entirely from
PVA.

Séan Connolly

Sexual lubrication?

You'd just have to be quick!

Rob Morley

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 03:20:08 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , ac297
says...
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these before I
get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Expanding PU foam.

The foam (from B&Q) will cost about the same as a new door from B&Q

I was going to mention that, but it's easier to carry the can of foam,
and doesn't necessitate hanging the door :-)

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article ,
Séan Connolly URL:mailto:[email protected] NG-HOST-NAME. wrote:

Is there actually anything that PVA can't be used for ?

Condom lubricant?

Coating for frying pan?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Paul Andrews wrote:
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these
before I get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Is it a solid frame these holes are in or a flush panelled door?

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Matt

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:10:36 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Toilet paper soaked in a PVA solution for a few hours! Plug the hole
with this to just below the surface then allow to dry. Then, finish
with plaster/filler.

Is there actually anything that PVA can't be used for ?

Yes, Radiation shields.

"Klaus Hergersheimer"

Funfly3

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Andrews wrote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
Thanks guys for the interesting ideas. I'll probably go with the dowel
idea
(I like the idea of somethin 'solid' that will fit the hole and can be
glued
to the inside of the door.

Then, when you want the job done properly, make a hole large enough to
insert a slip of card or hardboard on a piece of string.

Pull the card tight after liberally coating one face with the
ubiquitous
PVA (actuay a mastic would do better) and fix in position with a stick
or
wedge while it sets.

Then you need filler. Two or three coats.

1/2 hour plus two or three tea-breaks.

I that's a good idea for a piece of plaster board but a screw hole in a
door??

Séan Connolly

Yes, Radiation shields.

"Klaus Hergersheimer"

Is that an obscure James Bond reference ?

Paul Andrews

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Paul Andrews wrote:
We have a hollow cheap'n'cheerful internal door that has two holes in it
(left from a coathanger fitment). What's the best way to plug these
before I get the paintbrush out? They're about 6-8 mm in width.

Is it a solid frame these holes are in or a flush panelled door?

If it was solid I'd not have a problem. It's hollow - a completely plain
door with hardboard sides separated by air.

Paul

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:44:37 -0000, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Yes, Radiation shields.

"Klaus Hergersheimer"

Is that an obscure James Bond reference ?

Why, do you work for G section too? :-)