Robin Houston

Default Combi boiler filling loop problem

I've got a combi boiler (Saunier Duval Thelia 23). The pressure in the
CH system is too low (about 1/2 bar, judging by the inaccurate gauge).
In the past (i.e. last year) I've refilled it via the filling loop with
no problems.

Now, however, I turn the filling valve and nothing happens. I can't
hear it filling, and the pressure doesn't increase. If I disconnect the
other end of the loop from the boiler and turn the valve, water comes
out at (what looks like) decent pressure, so I think the filling valve
(the one you turn) is okay. (This morning when I tried it, it *did*
fill for about ten seconds before it stopped.)

What's the next thing to look at? Is it likely that the one-way valve
at the other end of the fillin gloop is sticking, and if so what can I
do about it? (Would I need to drain the system and replace the valve?)

Thanks for any advice!

Robin

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Robin Houston" writes:
I've got a combi boiler (Saunier Duval Thelia 23). The pressure in the
CH system is too low (about 1/2 bar, judging by the inaccurate gauge).
In the past (i.e. last year) I've refilled it via the filling loop with
no problems.

Now, however, I turn the filling valve and nothing happens. I can't
hear it filling, and the pressure doesn't increase. If I disconnect the
other end of the loop from the boiler and turn the valve, water comes
out at (what looks like) decent pressure, so I think the filling valve
(the one you turn) is okay. (This morning when I tried it, it *did*
fill for about ten seconds before it stopped.)

What's the next thing to look at? Is it likely that the one-way valve
at the other end of the fillin gloop is sticking, and if so what can I
do about it? (Would I need to drain the system and replace the valve?)

Are you in one of the areas where your mains water pressure has
been reduced (London, mainly)? Can you easily stop the water flow
by pressing your thumb on the end of the outlet (in which case the
mains pressure is probably too low to refill the system).

You could try refilling in the middle of the night when the water
pressure tends to be highest as the demand is lowest.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Robin Houston

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Are you in one of the areas where your mains water pressure has
been reduced (London, mainly)?

Yes, I'm in London. (I didn't know that the mains pressure had been
reduced. Interesting. When did it happen?)

Can you easily stop the water flow
by pressing your thumb on the end of the outlet

No I can't, though I've just discovered that I can spray the entire
kitchen by trying. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Robin

raden

In message . com, Robin
Houston writes
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Are you in one of the areas where your mains water pressure has
been reduced (London, mainly)?

Yes, I'm in London. (I didn't know that the mains pressure had been
reduced. Interesting. When did it happen?)

Can you easily stop the water flow
by pressing your thumb on the end of the outlet

No I can't, though I've just discovered that I can spray the entire
kitchen by trying. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any other ideas?

You haven't got a filling loop with a one way valve

.... and have fitted it the wrong way round perchance?

--
geoff
Robin Houston

raden wrote:
You haven't got a filling loop with a one way valve

... and have fitted it the wrong way round perchance?

Ha ha, no, it's not that! :-)

I haven't changed anything since last winter, when it was working just
fine.
Thanks for the suggestion though,

Robin