DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Using a pipe as a conduit. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/129196-using-pipe-conduit.html)

[email protected] November 13th 05 06:00 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

TIA

[email protected] November 13th 05 06:09 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

wrote:
I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

TIA

It really depends on the route the pipe takes, and what youre putting
down it. A straight pipe is straghtforward, and some bends are usable
with thin flex eg speaker wire. No way can I see you getting mains
wiring of any kind round 1 corner, nor 2.5 cable round any corner. All
one can say is try and see, just use the thinnest flex you can.

NT

OG November 13th 05 06:10 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

I guess an important question is whether it is safe to hide a flex inside a
copper pipe? Sometime in the future someone may find the pipe and cut
through the pipe not knowing that there is a potentially live cable inside
it.

At least if someone comes across a conduit they expect to find a cable
inside it; but a presumed redundant copper pipe wouldn not set off any
warning bells.

Personally I wouldn't

Just a thought.

[email protected] November 13th 05 06:14 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

TIA

It really depends on the route the pipe takes, and what youre putting
down it. A straight pipe is straghtforward, and some bends are usable
with thin flex eg speaker wire. No way can I see you getting mains
wiring of any kind round 1 corner, nor 2.5 cable round any corner. All
one can say is try and see, just use the thinnest flex you can.

NT

It will be a thin flex 0.5 or so. Is there a flex pull cord that can be
fed down such a pipe? If this can go down the pipe then pulling
through the cable should be easy enough if greased.

Lurch November 13th 05 06:45 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:10:28 -0000, "OG"
mused:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

There's also the fact that unless this cable is low voltage then the
OP shouldn't be running a 0.5mm flex through 2 storeys of a house in
place of fixed wiring.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Vortex November 13th 05 07:07 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

TIA

Use string, and suck it through with a vacuum cleaner.

Lurch November 13th 05 08:55 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:07:59 -0000, "Vortex"
mused:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

TIA

Use string, and suck it through with a vacuum cleaner.

Or do the job properly...... This isn't uk.lash-it-up.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Mike Harrison November 14th 05 11:00 AM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:45:56 +0000, Lurch wrote:

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:10:28 -0000, "OG"
mused:

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

Why not ? Can't see how it is any less secure inside a 15mm copper pipe than nailed down...

Rob Morley November 14th 05 01:00 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:45:56 +0000, Lurch wrote:

snip
There's also the fact that unless this cable is low voltage then the
OP shouldn't be running a 0.5mm flex through 2 storeys of a house in
place of fixed wiring.

Why not ? Can't see how it is any less secure inside a 15mm copper pipe than nailed down...

Flex is for appliances, not fixed wiring.

[email protected] November 14th 05 01:30 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:45:56 +0000, Lurch wrote:

snip

There's also the fact that unless this cable is low voltage then the
OP shouldn't be running a 0.5mm flex through 2 storeys of a house in
place of fixed wiring.

Why not ? Can't see how it is any less secure inside a 15mm copper pipe than nailed down...

Flex is for appliances, not fixed wiring.

Cable is preferred for fixed for 2 reasons: its cheaper, and doesnt
sag. Its perfectly safe to use flex in fixed wiring, and its standard
practice on immersion heaters, storage heaters, pendant lights, machine
shops, etc.

0.5 is on the small side for a power feed though, and woul need
suitably fusing. I'd also earth the pipe.

The downside is if you run 0.5 flex in waterpipe, it will be obvious
its a non-standard job, and any buyer or inspector would look at your
whole install thriugh paranoid eyes.

NT

Rob Morley November 14th 05 01:40 PM

Using a pipe as a conduit.

In article . com,
says...
Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:45:56 +0000, Lurch wrote:

snip

There's also the fact that unless this cable is low voltage then the
OP shouldn't be running a 0.5mm flex through 2 storeys of a house in
place of fixed wiring.

Why not ? Can't see how it is any less secure inside a 15mm copper pipe than nailed down...

Flex is for appliances, not fixed wiring.

Cable is preferred for fixed for 2 reasons: its cheaper, and doesnt
sag. Its perfectly safe to use flex in fixed wiring, and its standard
practice on immersion heaters, storage heaters, pendant lights, machine
shops, etc.

That's true - fortunate really, as I've used it in a couple of places
myself :-)