DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   condensation on combi boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/129145-condensation-combi-boiler.html)

Stuart Noble November 13th 05 02:22 PM

condensation on combi boiler

Our 13 month old Worcester Bosch Junior 24i has developed a drip
underneath the unit on the right hand side as you face it. No signs of
any leaks and it only seems to happen when the boiler has shut down
after the heating cycle.
I'm assuming condensation, but any advice welcome.

[email protected] November 13th 05 05:53 PM

Stuart Noble wrote:
Our 13 month old Worcester Bosch Junior 24i has developed a drip
underneath the unit on the right hand side as you face it. No signs of
any leaks and it only seems to happen when the boiler has shut down
after the heating cycle.
I'm assuming condensation, but any advice welcome.

Possibly failure of the seal in the bottom of the combustion chamber.

Ed Sirett November 14th 05 12:44 AM

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:22:10 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:

Our 13 month old Worcester Bosch Junior 24i has developed a drip
underneath the unit on the right hand side as you face it. No signs of
any leaks and it only seems to happen when the boiler has shut down
after the heating cycle.
I'm assuming condensation, but any advice welcome.

IME W-B boilers are prone to leaks any work on them seems to encourage
them even more.

It really is worth having a look around the inside of the boiler for the
leak. Boilers are running above ambient temperature on almost all their
components and so external condensation from external humidity is unlikely.

Stuart Noble November 14th 05 11:15 AM

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Our 13 month old Worcester Bosch Junior 24i has developed a drip
underneath the unit on the right hand side as you face it. No signs of
any leaks and it only seems to happen when the boiler has shut down
after the heating cycle.
I'm assuming condensation, but any advice welcome.

Possibly failure of the seal in the bottom of the combustion chamber.

Thanks Michael. Bosch, component failure after a year! What's the world
coming to?

Stuart Noble November 14th 05 11:24 AM

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:22:10 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:

Our 13 month old Worcester Bosch Junior 24i has developed a drip
underneath the unit on the right hand side as you face it. No signs of
any leaks and it only seems to happen when the boiler has shut down
after the heating cycle.
I'm assuming condensation, but any advice welcome.

IME W-B boilers are prone to leaks any work on them seems to encourage
them even more.

It really is worth having a look around the inside of the boiler for the
leak. Boilers are running above ambient temperature on almost all their
components and so external condensation from external humidity is unlikely.

Thanks, Ed. Your opinion of WB fills me with confidence :-)
So, running the boiler below full temperature isn't likely to cause it?
I'll check out Michael's suggestion and have a general look round. Given
the leak is tiny and intermittent, that should be fun.

baxter basics November 14th 05 12:14 PM

condensation on combi boiler

Contact WB technical support (via website).

Our Greenstar started doing this and they changed its brain- guy said
it was a fault which caused it to over-condense (!?) but whatever, it
was free, and fixed the problem.

cheers
Bax

Stuart Noble November 14th 05 12:41 PM

baxter basics wrote:
Contact WB technical support (via website).

Our Greenstar started doing this and they changed its brain- guy said
it was a fault which caused it to over-condense (!?) but whatever, it
was free, and fixed the problem.

cheers
Bax

Was the boiler still under warranty? Presumably it was ok to start with
so a brain fault doesn't seem logical. I wouldn't know how old my fault
is because it had no work surface under it until recently, and I
wouldn't have noticed a few drips on the floor.

Ed Sirett November 14th 05 08:50 PM

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:14:43 -0800, baxter basics wrote:

Contact WB technical support (via website).

Our Greenstar started doing this and they changed its brain- guy said
it was a fault which caused it to over-condense (!?) but whatever, it
was free, and fixed the problem.

The 24i Junior is a non-condensing combi IIRC.
The boiler should be hard to get into a condensing regime for any length
of time.

[email protected] November 15th 05 08:31 PM

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:14:43 -0800, baxter basics wrote:

Contact WB technical support (via website).

Our Greenstar started doing this and they changed its brain- guy said
it was a fault which caused it to over-condense (!?) but whatever, it
was free, and fixed the problem.

The 24i Junior is a non-condensing combi IIRC.
The boiler should be hard to get into a condensing regime for any length
of time.

Had a Corgi round this morning and he couldn't locate the source of the
leak. Needless to say it wasn't leaking when he arrived, and only
spills a tablespoon or so a couple of hours after the heating cycle.
As the boiler's new and the leak small, there was no tell-tale
evidence.
Doing my own detection, at first I thought it was the compression joint
on the CH return pipe but I've since discovered it's dripping on there
from above, but below the upper section of the boiler. This would
appear to narrow it down to the pump, or some connection to the pump.
It isn't leaking from the front bit, or the main compression joint but
there seems to be a flexible connector going somewhere which I can't
see or get to it. I wonder if there are other connections to the pump
that might be the source.
If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I'm not about to pay WB
£220 for a service call

Phil Addison January 3rd 06 05:16 PM

condensation on combi boiler

On 15 Nov 2005 11:31:37 -0800, in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

[...]

Place a sheet of newspaper below the suspected leak, and look for a damp
spot appearing. That should enable you to determine the leak path. Check
especially as the boiler cools, but (obviously) don't leave it so long
that the spot dries out. I have detected very fine leaks on compression
joints by wrapping tissue paper tightly round the pipe - it holds the
moisture so you can detect it, rather dripping away to evaporate
somewhere.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Stuart Noble January 3rd 06 07:13 PM

wrote:

[...]

I ended up wrapping kitchen roll round the ch return joint. Gets wet,
dries out, and that way nothing hits the worktop. Unless the boiler
pressure goes down, it can stay that way. Out of sight.....

Phil Addison January 5th 06 08:40 PM

condensation on combi boiler

wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I'm not about to pay WB
£220 for a service call

Place a sheet of newspaper below the suspected leak, and look for a damp
spot appearing. That should enable you to determine the leak path. Check
especially as the boiler cools, but (obviously) don't leave it so long
that the spot dries out. I have detected very fine leaks on compression
joints by wrapping tissue paper tightly round the pipe - it holds the
moisture so you can detect it, rather dripping away to evaporate
somewhere.

I ended up wrapping kitchen roll round the ch return joint. Gets wet,
dries out, and that way nothing hits the worktop. Unless the boiler
pressure goes down, it can stay that way. Out of sight.....

Hmmm... that's not quite what I had in mind ;-)