John Smith

Default Badgers

Hi,

There was a lovely house near me last year which had just been modernised
throughout but I didn't go for it - it got snapped up pretty quick anyhow. I
have since learnt that at the rear of the house is a small wood with a
badger set in there.

At first I thought how cute... but since I have wondered whether having one
so close to a house could be a potential problem - i.e. as in digging down
underneath the foundations? Anyone know anything about this kind of thing?
Just curious?

J.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:28:13 +0100, Andrew McKay wrote:

I was under the impression that Badgers could be responsible for
helping the spread of TB or some such disease.

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed
Camera thread...)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I was under the impression that Badgers could be responsible for
helping the spread of TB or some such disease.

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed
Camera thread...)

Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Alan

In message , Dave Plowman
wrote
In article ,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I was under the impression that Badgers could be responsible for
helping the spread of TB or some such disease.

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed
Camera thread...)

Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

Do you mean the character in the every day story about the super rich
farm owning community?
--
Alan

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:05:36 +0000 (UTC), Baffie
wrote:

Despite what you see on the BBC, if Badgers are comfortable in their
(and our) surroundings, you don't need infra red cameras and you don't
need to talk in whispers, our badgers still approach the house even
when there's 1500 watts of halogen lighting switched on - in fact I've
got a home video of them mating - right under the lamps!! shy
creatures? definitely not - wise? oh yes!!

When I was a lad a lady round the corner had badgers come into her
garden every night. I spent some evenings round there, leaning out of
the garage window hand feeding them.

Making sure I didn't get my fingers in the way of their nibbling gear
of course!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Andy Hall

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:53:44 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , Dave Plowman
wrote
In article ,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I was under the impression that Badgers could be responsible for
helping the spread of TB or some such disease.

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed
Camera thread...)

Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

Do you mean the character in the every day story about the super rich
farm owning community?

Shhh! You'll attract the troll from under his bridge.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:34:50 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

Bovine TB, possibly (this could end up as another Ragwort or Speed
Camera thread...)

Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

Haven't heard it for a while, silly sod didn't take up the option of
having his own, independant, examination of the body. In "the real
world" that would surely be the thing to do. It would make his case so
much stronger if said dead Badger had had TB.

As for the **** poor research I smell something, why does no one put
up the cash to do a proper scientific appraisal? Vetinary Drugs
companies making loads a money from TB vaccines? A feeling that they
(who ever "they" are) won't get the answer they want, ie Badgers do
carry TB to cattle.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Alan wrote:
Well, David Archer's convinced. ;-)

Do you mean the character in the every day story about the super rich
farm owning community?

Indeed. The main thread at the moment is about the Grundys.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
John Smith

Thanks for all the info... not sure about the Archers' bit though... Darn, I
did like that house but became unemployed a few months before it came on the
market. With hindsight, I still wish I had gone for it now....

J.

wrote in message
I "lived" with some for ten years no problems.
TB - no one has yet proved it even after they killed a "lot" in one
area. Man just likes to kill any thing just for fun.
To watch them play at night is better than drink to relax.

Alan

In message , Dave
Liquorice wrote

ie Badgers do
carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of the
cattle and the TB problem will go away.

--
Alan

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of
the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

Selective quoting is wonderful isn't it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of
the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

That's like saying that humans infect mosquitoes with malaria (oh yes they
do) so we should get rid of humans and the malaria problem will go away.

Mary

geoff

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
.1...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of
the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

That's like saying that humans infect mosquitoes with malaria (oh yes they
do) so we should get rid of humans and the malaria problem will go away.

It might help with global warming too ....

--
geoff
Alan

In message , Mary Fisher
wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
.1...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of
the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

That's like saying that humans infect
mosquitoes with malaria (oh yes they
do) so we should get rid of humans and the malaria problem will go away.

The relationship between humans, mosquitoes and malaria is understood.
Do you believe that killing all the badgers in the UK will stop TB in
cattle?
--
Alan

Richard Caley

In article , Dave Liquorice (dl) writes:

dl As for the **** poor research I smell something, why does no one put
dl up the cash to do a proper scientific appraisal?

Maybe there isn't an EU form to fill in to do so:-).

--
Mail me as _O_

Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
.1...
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:55:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

ie Badgers do carry TB to cattle.

No, it's the other way around. Cattle infect badgers. Cull all of
the cattle and the TB problem will go away.

That's like saying that humans infect
mosquitoes with malaria (oh yes they
do) so we should get rid of humans and the malaria problem will go away.

The relationship between humans, mosquitoes and malaria is understood.
Do you believe that killing all the badgers in the UK will stop TB in
cattle?

I haven't expressed an opinion on that point.

The answer is that I have no belief about it. Not enough research has been
done in UK and DEFRA seems to be in the grip of the badger supporters to
take any notice of the astonishing results from culling in the Republic of
Ireland.

But you'll never kill all the badgers so it's not a sensible question.

Mary
--
Alan

John Smith

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
In message , Mary

Fisher
wrote

But you'll never kill all the badgers so it's not a sensible question.

Mary

Do they organise resistance cells? ;-)

John Smith

I think they are in Iraq hunting down Sddam. Even as I type squads of highly
trained badgers are lying in wait disguised as desert badgers... They'll get
him.

"John Smith" wrote in message

But you'll never kill all the badgers so it's not a sensible question.

Mary

Do they organise resistance cells? ;-)

Do you - or (sorry) - does ANYONE know where all the badgers are?

Mary

Rick Hughes

Do you - or (sorry) - does ANYONE know where all the badgers are?

ask John Archer

Mary Fisher

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

Do you - or (sorry) - does ANYONE know where all the badgers are?

ask John Archer

Do you mean David?

John died in a tractor accident some time ago.

Mary

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
Do you - or (sorry) - does ANYONE know where all the badgers are?

ask John Archer

Not an avid listener, then?

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Alan

In message , Mary Fisher
wrote

John died in a tractor accident some time ago.

You obviously missed some episodes. He died of bovine TB but the family
covered it up to protect the herd.

--
Alan

Mary Fisher

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
wrote

John died in a tractor accident some time ago.

You obviously missed some episodes. He died of bovine TB but the family
covered it up to protect the herd.

Are you sure you haven't been infected with something bovine?

:-)

Mary

--
Alan