DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting Travertine Tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/127492-cutting-travertine-tiles.html)

Andy November 1st 05 07:52 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

Hi,

I need to cut some circular holes in some travertine floor tiles to
accommodate some floor lights which are about 5cm diameter.

Any suggestions for the best tool to cut a good circular hole??

Andy

Cicero November 1st 05 08:55 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

"Andy" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I need to cut some circular holes in some travertine floor tiles to
accommodate some floor lights which are about 5cm diameter.

Any suggestions for the best tool to cut a good circular hole??

Andy

=============
You could try a tile cutting jigsaw blade - available from Wickes. It works
very well with ordinary wall tiles with no edge cleaning required
afterwards.

Cic.

The Natural Philosopher November 2nd 05 12:51 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

Cicero wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
. ..

Hi,

I need to cut some circular holes in some travertine floor tiles to
accommodate some floor lights which are about 5cm diameter.

Any suggestions for the best tool to cut a good circular hole??

Andy

=============
You could try a tile cutting jigsaw blade - available from Wickes. It works
very well with ordinary wall tiles with no edge cleaning required
afterwards.

Cic.

Yerrs...I was thinking abrafile..but this is better..need a diamond
ideally ..and you SHOULD be able to rwap emery paper around a bit of
pipe and get the final finish pretty good, but it takes a lot of tume to
sand marble...

Chris Bacon November 2nd 05 01:31 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

Andy wrote:
I need to cut some circular holes in some travertine floor tiles to
accommodate some floor lights which are about 5cm diameter.

Any suggestions for the best tool to cut a good circular hole??

Just use a HSS hole saw.

Chris Bacon November 2nd 05 01:35 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
it takes a lot of tume to sand marble...

Time? Not really, it's rather soft stuff.

The Natural Philosopher November 3rd 05 06:08 PM

Cutting Travertine Tiles

Chris Bacon wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

it takes a lot of tume to sand marble...

Time? Not really, it's rather soft stuff.

Not as soft as balsa wood..and Ive spent all day sanding that in my time :-)