DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Carpet under skirting board (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/127025-carpet-under-skirting-board.html)

David October 29th 05 11:57 AM

Carpet under skirting board

I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a
concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in
some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down
the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need
to cut the carpet exactly . The tiles would only go under the skirting
by about a quarter inch so could be pulled out if necessary.
Although it sounds like I'm trying to get out of doing a neat job, am
I likely to encounter any problems?
Is it ok to lay carpet tiles directly onto concrete?

Dave

Lobster October 29th 05 12:06 PM

David wrote:
I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a
concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in
some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down
the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need
to cut the carpet exactly . The tiles would only go under the skirting
by about a quarter inch so could be pulled out if necessary.
Although it sounds like I'm trying to get out of doing a neat job, am
I likely to encounter any problems?

I wouldn't if I were you. For a start, it's dead easy trimming carpet
tiles to fit exactly; much more so than with normal carpet - google this
newsgroup for the exact method (as I did myself about a year ago!). I
just don't see you saving any time doing it your way.

It's a 'messy' solution too; OK you can pull your tiles out again, but
what happens when they are worn out and you want to replace them, and
the new tiles are thinner/thicker?

Is it ok to lay carpet tiles directly onto concrete?

I think most, if not all, carpet tiles are intended to be laid that way;
they have solid rubber backing in place of using underlay. That's how i
fitted mine.

David

Set Square October 29th 05 03:37 PM

David wrote:

I'm decorating a small room 6' x 7' to use as an office. It has a
concrete floor and will be replacing the skirting as I have to box in
some pipes. I'll be using some carpet tiles and wondered if I put down
the carpet first, then fit the skirting board on top, I wouldn't need
to cut the carpet exactly .

Not a good idea!

Carpet tiles need to be a tight fit against the walls - or whatever - or
they will start moving apart when you walk on them. Skirting board is far
more likely to present a decent straight edge against which to fit them than
is rough plaster/unplastered brickwork.

It's very easy to cut carpet tiles to fit against a straight edge, using a
sharp Stanley knife. Where you need a partial tile, lay a whole tile upside
down, with one edge against the wall - and overlap the previous tile over
it. Use the previous tile as a guide for marking the cutting line. Take the
tile up, use a steel straight-edge to guide the knife along the marked
cutting line, the re-lay the tile the proper way up.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

David October 29th 05 09:13 PM

Carpet under skirting board

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:37:45 +0100, "Set Square"

David wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies.
The point about butting up to the skirting board to prevent movement
is a good one. I'll wait until I get the skirting.

Dave

chris French October 31st 05 06:33 AM

Carpet under skirting board

In message , David
writes
Thanks for the replies.
The point about butting up to the skirting board to prevent movement
is a good one. I'll wait until I get the skirting.

Double sided tape laid in a grid is useful ~(doesn't need to be all the
tiles
--
Chris French