Eadwald

Default Dual flush Cistern

Hi

We have an Ideal Standard dual flush loo which has recently started to leak
(overflow?). It is not clear how to remove the cistern lid as the dual flush
button mechanism seems to be firmly attached to the flushing device. Can
anyone advise how to release the lid?

Thanks

Peter

Set Square

Eadwald wrote:

Hi

We have an Ideal Standard dual flush loo which has recently started
to leak (overflow?). It is not clear how to remove the cistern lid as
the dual flush button mechanism seems to be firmly attached to the
flushing device. Can anyone advise how to release the lid?

Thanks

Peter

Is this the sort you flush by pressing a button on the top of the lid? If
so, there should be a bezel surrounding the button, which you need to
unscrew. Problem is, there isn't usually much to get hold of to turn it. You
can sometimes do it with a small rubber suction pad, or similar - or maybe
by wearing a rubber glove to give extra grip.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Brian Sharrock

"Eadwald" wrote in message
Hi

We have an Ideal Standard dual flush loo which has recently started to
leak (overflow?). It is not clear how to remove the cistern lid as the
dual flush button mechanism seems to be firmly attached to the flushing
device. Can anyone advise how to release the lid?

Thanks

Peter; I'm unfamiliar with your 'Ideal Standard' dual-flush cistern:
however my cistern has a Ying-yang stylised two-segment 'button'
on the top [One 'half' give big flush while the other 'half' summons
a 'little' flush when either half is pressed down]. The "button-assembly'
sits in a circle. To dismantle one presses down the little button, when
a finger-nail depression may be seen in the exposed side of the bigger
button -this may then be extracted from the 'circle'.
[On mine; I depress the little button with the knuckles of my right
hand and use my index finger's nail to feel the depression which is then
yanked upwards, and ever so slightly inwards, - there's a distinct 'click'
as it come out from its retaining mechansim - YMMV]

Once the two 'half' buttons are out of the circle; it's fairly easy to see
how
the lid is held down onto the flushing mechanism [think big slotted screw]
- which does have a height adjusting mecnanism somewhat independent
of the water level adjustment.
Perhaps you can inspect your particular set-up with the above in mind.

Oh ... ! mantling is the reverse of dismantling ....

HTH

--

Brian

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Eadwald wrote:
Hi

We have an Ideal Standard dual flush loo which has recently started to leak
(overflow?). It is not clear how to remove the cistern lid as the dual flush
button mechanism seems to be firmly attached to the flushing device. Can
anyone advise how to release the lid?

Just fitted one with dual flush.
just lick your fingers so they are damp and grippy, press in the buttons
which gives you just enough exposed surface to rotate.

On re-fitting, I noticed the buttons and the outer bit (the bit you need
to rotate are individually screwed into the syphon. If you get them
slightly "out of sync" you can end up with the buttons sitting proud or
below the surface of the bezel. Just un-screw, re-align and re-screw
both buttons & outer at the same time.

They look best when flush getting coat

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Set Square wrote:
Eadwald wrote:

Hi

We have an Ideal Standard dual flush loo which has recently started
to leak (overflow?). It is not clear how to remove the cistern lid as
the dual flush button mechanism seems to be firmly attached to the
flushing device. Can anyone advise how to release the lid?

Thanks

Peter

Is this the sort you flush by pressing a button on the top of the lid? If
so, there should be a bezel surrounding the button, which you need to
unscrew. Problem is, there isn't usually much to get hold of to turn it. You
can sometimes do it with a small rubber suction pad, or similar - or maybe
by wearing a rubber glove to give extra grip.

The small rubber sheets sold to allow the elderly to get a better grip
for unscrewing jars and bottles are good, too.

MBQ