DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   table lamp screw fitting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/124963-table-lamp-screw-fitting.html)

Ben October 15th 05 07:40 PM

table lamp screw fitting

I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement
fitting I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a
different size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard
size. Anyone know what's going on?

Bob Minchin October 15th 05 07:56 PM

table lamp screw fitting

Ben wrote in message
I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement
fitting I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a
different size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard
size. Anyone know what's going on?

I the good old days they were all threaded 1/2" British Standard Brass
thread (26tpi) but all sorts of threads turn up these days on 'furrin'
lamps.

Bob

Lurch October 15th 05 10:42 PM

table lamp screw fitting

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:40:46 +0100, Ben scrawled:

I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement
fitting I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a
different size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard
size. Anyone know what's going on?

I'd hazard a guess at you've got the wrong size fitting.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

-=Scozia=- October 16th 05 12:13 AM

table lamp screw fitting

"Ben" wrote in message
I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement fitting
I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a different
size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard size.
Anyone know what's going on?

Looks like you've bought the good old fashioned 1/2 Inch size.

try getting a 10mm one.

the 1/2 inch and 10mm ones are most common types u can get.

-=Scozia=-

Ben October 16th 05 06:30 PM

table lamp screw fitting

-=Scozia=- wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement fitting
I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a different
size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard size.
Anyone know what's going on?

Looks like you've bought the good old fashioned 1/2 Inch size.

try getting a 10mm one.

the 1/2 inch and 10mm ones are most common types u can get.

-=Scozia=-

Yeah, I've measured them and you're right. The broken one from the new
lamp is 10mm and the replacement one they had in the local DIY shop is
the old 1/2 inch. Looks like I'll be going to B&Q tomorrow then.

Thanks