Baz

Default Neighbours' water on my roof.

Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my
roof drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks
now and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he
said (a couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit
between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for
any extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Anyway of fixing it on your garage so that the water runs off onto his
property?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Baz

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Baz wrote:
[...]

I could fix some guttering myself or offer to fix the ballcock for him, but
it is his problem, but causing me a problem.
Baz

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Baz wrote:
[...]

To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for
materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between
neihbours. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:32:44 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

| To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for
| materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between
| neihbours. :-)

I cut down a 2 story high tree, bit by bit, just on my neighbours land, at
my own expense, and labour. Peace is worth it.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.

Lobster

Baz wrote:

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

So if I understand you right, his leak drips on to his garage roof, then
on to you garage roof, then into your gutter and down your drain?

If so, it doesn't really sound like an earth-shattering problem over
which it's worth damaging relations with your neighbour?

David

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Rob Morley wrote:

Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow -
preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back and
dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^

I like that idea, though why not push some moss up inside so it can't be
seen. It would seem pretty legit that the pipe could be blocked by moss
even if not really possible.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow -
preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back
and dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^

I like that idea, though why not push some moss up inside so it can't be
seen. It would seem pretty legit that the pipe could be blocked by moss
even if not really possible.

He's talked to the neighbour, unfortunately. I was going to suggest
measuring the pipe, then making a cylinder of ice in a similar pipe,
and bunging it up during a cold snap....

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

How does he know that the houses were designed this way? Have you
checked similar houses down the street to see if is this is true?

It doesn't take 4 weeks to find a plumber. The guy is obviously an
arsehole. I'd give him a little more time but in future make sure you
never do the sod any favours.

mike

Criminally devious, but a damn clever idea.

Wish I'd thought of it

Mike

Peter Taylor

"Baz" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a
couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Overflows are normally placed where they cause as much nuisance as possible,
precisely to make lazy gits like your neighbour get off their backsides. We
need to think up a simple way of putting the nuisance back on his side of
the fence, where it should be. You're entitled to do whatever you like on
your own roof - how about a temporary piece of gutter or corrugated roof
sheet that catches the water and drains it back onto his side? Or could you
dam up the water flowing off his roof somehow to make it flood on his side?

Gio

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
"Baz" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my

roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

If you can easily access it, connect a hose to it and backfeed into his
cistern. Water on the inside of his property will spring him to life. Just
remove the hose after a short period and any overfill will drain back out.

Gio

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rob Morley
saying something like:

What can I do??

Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow -
preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back and
dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^

Nah; what you need is one of these...

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000519.html

Just listen for the screams.
--

Dave
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz
Check the deeds for drainage rights. These usually cover downpipes from guttering draining onto your land but the same applies to any drainage or spill of water onto your property. I had a similar problem with the business next door with over a 100 feet of guttering overflowing onto my building and into the garden. Once I had politely offered to meet some of the costs (which is not necessary but neighbourly) they had workman round post haste- they even unblocked two of my drains!

Good luck.
fred

In article . com,
mike writes
Criminally devious, but a damn clever idea.

Wish I'd thought of it

Actually criminally damageous, do not pass go, do not collect 200pounds.

Not recommended.
--
fred
Paul

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:16:15 +0100, "Baz"
wrote:

Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

If you have water meters remind him that water he is wasting is
costing about 2 UKP per 1000L.

Paul
Lobster

Lobster wrote:
Baz wrote:

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my
roof drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks
now and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said
(a couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

So if I understand you right, his leak drips on to his garage roof, then
on to you garage roof, then into your gutter and down your drain?

If so, it doesn't really sound like an earth-shattering problem over
which it's worth damaging relations with your neighbour?

I'm amazed at the number of replies suggesting different solutions to
this monumental crisis - but nobody, including the OP, has commented on
my post above.

If my understanding of the issue is correct, WTF does it matter to the
OP if this pipe is dripping? Is it going to wear out the OP's roof or
gutter prematurely or something? Aren't there more important things in
life to worry about?

David

fred

In article , Lobster
writes
Lobster wrote:
Baz wrote:

[...]

You mean more important than worrying whether someone has replied to
your post :-P

I didn't reply because none was necessary, you hit the nail on the head
and other than me-too-ing there was nothing I could add. It's a case of
something that is winding the o/p up and that he wishes to do something
about 'on principle', something which is likely to end in disaster, as a quick
view at such cases in uk.legal will confirm.
--
fred
Baz

"Baz" wrote in message
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a
couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Hi Guys.
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes I do have better things to worry about.
But after approx 8 weeks of water dripping everything is getting damp.
The water is not running off the roofs but dribbling and trickling
everywhere.
We live in a very hard water area and the brick work is going to be stained.
I think the best solution is to offer to fix it for him, but I don't think
that will go down very well.
I can but try.
Baz

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM