Default Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator

Hi,
I want to use a standard radiator with an electric immersion heater
within. Here are the links for what I want to use

and

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...80 5&ts=74650

Questions!?
Will the heater threads fit in the radiator threads? Are they different
for towel radiators?

Where can I get a Blanking plug or cap for the other end of the
radiator, or will I have to make one? (i'd rather not, I'm looking for
a neat solution)

what kind of oil? Multigrade? LOL!

Thanks for reading
Mark

Newshound

Several points

1: why? won't be as convenient or look as nice as a proper towel radiator.

2: I'm pretty sure the heater won't fit. I expect the threads would be fine
but on a towel rail the element screws in and goes straight along the bottom
rail. On a pressed steel radiator (single or double) there is a crank
between the valve fitting and the bottom water gallery.

3: cheapest engine or other mineral oil would be OK though (screwfix again).

1. Cost! And it will be tucked away under a worktop, so no point in
putting a pretty chrome job in when it wont be seen.

2. I will check that with the heaters and radiators at B&Q, thanks.

3. I figured that was the case.

Last point, if I manage to jump through the hoops, do you know of a
blanking cap for the other end?

Autolycus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I want to use a standard radiator with an electric immersion heater
within. Here are the links for what I want to use

and

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...80 5&ts=74650

Questions!?
Will the heater threads fit in the radiator threads? Are they
different
for towel radiators?

Where can I get a Blanking plug or cap for the other end of the
radiator, or will I have to make one? (i'd rather not, I'm looking for
a neat solution)

what kind of oil? Multigrade? LOL!

And a brief, but, I hope, sincere, prayer that the expansion of the
radiator will exactly match the expansion of its contents as the element
heats up.

I'm unconvinced by screwfix's line "plumbed on non-plumbed towel
radiators". Do commercial oil-filled heaters have an air space for
expansion?

The pairing of heater and radiator you've mentioned do indeed have the
same power rating, but that means that to dissipate the power the
radiator will be at around 70 degrees C. The corollary to this is that
the running cost will be around 3p/hr, or say three quid a week, £150 a
year.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

naylormark

1. I would not have filled the radiator completely. The working
pressure of the radiator is 10 Bar. I do not believe that a 400w heater
immersed in oil with an air allowance for expansion would manage to
create that pressure. I would also have left the bleed slightly open
for a while to confirm this. I was also considering thermostat control
to prevent excessive temperature, but the radiator should have been
able to dissipate enough power to obviate the need for it anyway.

2. Cost not an issue, warmth is!

All a hypothetical argument, as the 90 degree turn into the radiator
scuppers the idea. Are all radiators made like this?

I'm going to use this instead, as it has a thermostat and is designed
for the job.

Thanks all for your help and advice

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Last point, if I manage to jump through the hoops, do you know of a
blanking cap for the other end?

Got one in B&Q for the rad in my car. ;-)

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.