DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cutting into a concrete block wall (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/124136-cutting-into-concrete-block-wall.html)

[email protected] October 9th 05 07:21 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

Hi there

Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

David

Rick October 9th 05 08:46 PM

On 9 Oct 2005 10:21:51 -0700, wrote:

Hi there

Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

David

Cut from each side using angle grinder.

Bash it out from the middle, tidy up the rough bits

OR

Hire a massive angle grinder

Rick

Set Square October 9th 05 08:56 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

Hi there

Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete
garden wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go
all the way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I
want to cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

David

How about drilling a few holes through (with an SDS drill) to define where
the cutout will be - and then cut half-way through from each side with your
large angle-grinder?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

mrcheerful October 9th 05 09:24 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there

Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

David

hire one of those diamond chain saws, like Tommy Walsh uses

mrcheerful

Chris Bacon October 10th 05 12:38 PM

davidgladwin wrote:
Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

Hire a Stihl saw with a 14" blade.

Rick October 10th 05 12:59 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

On 9 Oct 2005 10:21:51 -0700, wrote:

Hi there

Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

David

Just had another thought, you can hire a chain saw with a diamond
blade, designed to cut concrete.

Rick

Dave Plowman (News) October 10th 05 01:30 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

In article .com,
wrote:
Would someone please tell me how to cut into a 9" thick concrete garden
wall? I've tried using a large angle grinder but it won't go all the
way through and looking at stone cutters neither will they. I want to
cut a section out to put a gate in. Thanks to any replies.

Drill through in several places with an SDS drill being careful to keep
the bit 'square'. Cut through from both sides. Make the opening slightly
oversize then shutter up and make good with a mortar skim to the
dimensions required. For best results include a rebate in the shuttering
to give a neat fillet round the opening.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] October 10th 05 03:53 PM

cutting into a concrete block wall

Thanks guys

I think I'll try to save some hiring money and grind through from both
sides. Making it oversize makes sense too.

Thanks again

David

Rick October 10th 05 04:12 PM

On 10 Oct 2005 06:53:39 -0700, wrote:

Thanks guys

I think I'll try to save some hiring money and grind through from both
sides. Making it oversize makes sense too.

Thanks again

David

Oh what fun you are missing, a dimond chain saw, the dreams of many a
"DOOM" player are there ready to be acted out with that sort of a
tool.

The angle grinder is alsmot certanly less lilkey to do you serious
injury, but its still far from being "safe" in the way Americaians use
the word.

Rick