dkh

Default condensation on new double glazed windows...

We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our house this
week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows would
disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single pane sash
windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were a bit
(not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20% of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there was a
bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we contact
the DG company..

I did google a bit on this but most posts referred to moisture condensation
between the panes which is not what we are experiencing.

--dkh

John Laird

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:19:55 GMT, dkh wrote:

We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our house this
week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows would
disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single pane sash
windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were a bit
(not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20% of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there was a
bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we contact
the DG company..

I did google a bit on this but most posts referred to moisture condensation
between the panes which is not what we are experiencing.

Some condensation on DG is to be expected. To eliminate it completely, you
would need better insulation around the frame (it's conduction through that
which leads to the glass getting cold enough for moist air to condense out).
I think some makes are better than others in this respect.

I've also had a couple of DG windows fitted this summer. On the first cold
night, I was alarmed to see condensation along the bottom of each panel,
which wasn't on the inside. I was pondering the likelihood of both units
having failed so soon, when it occurred to me to open a window and stick my
hand out. The moisture was on the outside (as it often is on your car
windows). The DG unit was obviously allowing the outer pane to get very
cold.

--
Honk if you've slept with Commander Riker!
Uno Hoo!

"dkh" wrote in message
[...]

Condensation forms, of course, when damp humid air comes into contact with a
cold surface. If the inner pane of your double glazing is cold, and humid
air contacts it, then you will get condensation. The condensation will be
exacerbated by lack of ventilation.

So a few questions to ask:
Why is the inner pane cold, where is the damp air coming from, and is there
any ventilation in your bedroom (eg an open window)?
If your house is cold - then the inner pane will be cold. If you keep all
the windows closed (and your bedroom door closed) then there is a lack of
ventilation. Certainly there is a lot of moisture in exhaled breath - but is
your house damp as well? Do you have, for example, a tumble drier that
vents into the house rather than through an outside wall? Did the window
fitters have to do any re-plastering that is now drying out?
I have double glazing and occasionally, if the weather is very cold, there
is a small amount of condensation on bedroom windows in the morning (right
at the bottom) - at this time of year, however, none at all.

Kev

The Natural Philosopher

dkh wrote:

[...]

Even DG is not a perfect insulator. Its just BETTER.

Sounds like you have a very humid room - try a little ventilation in it.
borgmaster

dkh wrote:
We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our
house this week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows
would disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single
pane sash windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were
a bit (not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20%
of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there
was a bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we
contact the DG company..

Buy a dehumidifier, problem sorted without opening windows and letting
cold air in.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"borgmaster" writes:
Buy a dehumidifier, problem sorted without opening windows and letting
cold air in.

But you haven't said how to repair the resulting dished
floorboards, plaster which has come away from shrunk laths,
etc. Far better to ventilate the house properly.

--
Andrew Gabriel

If you want de-humidifying the best thing is single glazed sash
windows. They condense a lot which then drains down and out to the
outside via the gap at meeting rails and at the bottom sash staff bead
junction.
Double glazed and draught proof windows keep humidity in and although
there may be slightly less codensation on the window glass itself (it
being warmer than a single glazed window) there will be more
condensation in other parts of the buildng sometimes resulting in damp
walls, mould patches etc. If there is inadequate ventilation there will
be more condensation on the DG windows than you would have had with SG
windows, due to the higher humidity levels.
One (stupid) answer to this prob is 'the de-humidifier' - an item which
was virtually never heard of until double glazing and it's probs
emerged. A more sensible answer is to open the windows a bit, and keep
a window-leather and bucket handy to wipe off condensation.

cheers

Jacob

Uno Hoo!

wrote in message ...
On 9 Oct,
"borgmaster" wrote:

You must have bought a dehumidifier the same time as me Bob. I to have
had over 15 years of condensation free winters with no ill effect to the
fabric or structure of my property. Added benefit is that the water
produced can be used in steam irons without the iron scaling up. I
wonder if anyone who suggests that dehumidifiers can cause the problems
they say have empirical evidence to proof their comments.

That echoes my experiance. They aren't cheap to run though, and mine can
only
cope with 4 people in residence. any more and it's on continuously.

It's saved quite a bit on paint for window frames too. As a result I've
still
got one or two wooden ones, and one even single glazed - although that ips
planned to be replaced.

It was bought originally after an attack of mould on an outside wall.
There's
been no sign of mould since.

My goodness - it dries the outside of the house as well? ;-)

Kev

dkh

In synonypis then ... it would appear that i dont have much to worry
about...

Ive spoken to a work colleague who experiences the same and he claims
the airflow around the base of the panes is not as good leading to small
levels of condensation.

--
dkh
Paul

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:59:45 +0100, John Laird
wrote:

[...]

I think John has the answer here, we are on our 4th home in 3 years,
the last one was a bungalow with cheap DG, on cold mornings the
windows had condensation around the lower parts of the window pane and
frame. Our current house has a much higher quality DG, thicker
chunkier frames, these show no condensation at all.

Humidity gauge shows the same levels of humidity in both properties.

Paul

The Natural Philosopher

Uno Hoo! wrote:

I always wake up with a headache if I don't have a window open!

I usually wake up with one if I do...