DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BIRD FLU PANDEMIC FEARS MOUNT - CONTINGENCY PLANS ESSENTIAL!' (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/123650-bird-flu-pandemic-fears-mount-contingency-plans-essential.html)

[email protected] October 5th 05 05:32 PM

BIRD FLU PANDEMIC FEARS MOUNT - CONTINGENCY PLANS ESSENTIAL!'

If you are running any kind of business, or you depende for your
livelihood on an efficient 'just-in-time' supply chain, you need to be
making contingency plans for a possible global and national bird flu
pandemic.

As the death toll from avian flu mounts, it's vital to stay as informed
as you can on new bird flu cases, bird flu preventative measures and
bird flu treatments.

Remember the world-wide carnage caused by the 1918 Flu Pandemic?
http://www.mimico-by-the-lake.com/1918FLU.HTM

In 2004, the world just missed a similar deadly bullet in SARS.
http://www.mimico-by-the-lake.com/SARSFLU.HTM

Conflicting bird flu reports are rapidly creating world-wide confusion
as Indonesian struggles to contain its current epidemic. Other
countries are trying desperately to prepare for what seems to be an
inevitable global pandemic, even as they try to calm the fears of their
citizens.

As the the possibility of a deadly global bird flu pandemic increases,
concerned citizens, journalists, health care providers and public
health officials can stay up-to-date with the latest stories and
developments via the 'Bird Flu, Avian Influenza and Global Pandemics'
page at http://www.mimico-by-the-lake.com/bird-flu.htm.

Because of heavy additional research requirements, that page will be
next updated in a day or so. It is normally updated daily with bird flu
news stories from around the globe, and is well worth linking to.

For a major background resource and archive on the 1918 Flu, SARS and
the coming global influenza pandemic, visit
http://www.mimico-by-the-lake.com/1918FLU.HTM

This page is also an invaluable pandemic reference resource, and is
also well worth linking to.

For those interested in the related threat of Bioterrorism, Biowar and
Biological Warfare, see the excellent and comprehensive pafe at
http://www.mimico-by-the-lake.com/GERMWARS.HTM

Aidan October 5th 05 07:21 PM

wrote:
If you are running any kind of business, or you depende for your

snip spam

Bob Mannix October 6th 05 08:15 AM

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
If you are running any kind of business, or you depende for your

snip spam

Indeed - mind you he's got a bl**dy cheek -

"Remember the world-wide carnage caused by the 1918 Flu Pandemic?"

I know some of the people in the ng (including me) are not in the first
flush of youth....

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

TheScullster October 6th 05 08:46 AM

The DIY angle?

Convert the garage into a 4 bed emergency ward?
Devise suitable machine for repulping paper and manufacturing paper tissues?

Have I missed something here?

Phil

[email protected] October 6th 05 12:54 PM

Aidan wrote:

snip totally pointless post.

Dave Liquorice October 6th 05 08:08 PM

On 6 Oct 2005 04:54:17 -0700, wrote:

snip totally pointless post.

Not totally pointless. If you are running a small business with a few
employees, what impact will having half or more of your work force off
sick for two weeks have on your business? There probably isn't much
you can do but thinking about it before hand means you should be
prepared and thus be more likely to survive as a business.

Until H5N1 does mutate into a form that can reliably transmit between
humans we don't know how it will behave. The death rate could be
anything from 20% to 90%... It is a serious threat.

Most people who say they have had "the flu" haven't unless they have
been off sick for at least a week and come back looking like death
warmed up. If they have only been off for a couple of days they had
the Common Cold.

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John Cartmell October 6th 05 08:36 PM

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Until H5N1 does mutate into a form that can reliably transmit between
humans we don't know how it will behave. The death rate could be
anything from 20% to 90%... It is a serious threat.

Indications are that it's more likely to be in the higher frame. Your final
statement is a gross misrepresentation; 'serious' is nowhere near strong
enough.

Making it ON topic:

Some of us could find ourselves with plenty of time to diy whilst (rightly)
afraid to go out to work (or elsewhere) whilst others will have no time whilst
visiting sick relatives who cannot be hospitalised.

And house prices may very well fall considerably with so many on the market at
once.

tony sayer October 6th 05 09:02 PM

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On 6 Oct 2005 04:54:17 -0700, wrote:

snip totally pointless post.

Not totally pointless. If you are running a small business with a few
employees, what impact will having half or more of your work force off
sick for two weeks have on your business? There probably isn't much
you can do but thinking about it before hand means you should be
prepared and thus be more likely to survive as a business.

Until H5N1 does mutate into a form that can reliably transmit between
humans we don't know how it will behave. The death rate could be
anything from 20% to 90%... It is a serious threat.

Most people who say they have had "the flu" haven't unless they have
been off sick for at least a week and come back looking like death
warmed up. If they have only been off for a couple of days they had
the Common Cold.

Quite. I had the flu once and it wasn't like any cold I've ever known.
Mind you Dave, don't you live on some freezing remote Scottish hill top
so perhaps it won't survive the trip up there;).......
--
Tony Sayer

Matt October 6th 05 09:31 PM

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On 6 Oct 2005 04:54:17 -0700, wrote:

snip totally pointless post.

Not totally pointless. If you are running a small business with a few
employees, what impact will having half or more of your work force off
sick for two weeks have on your business? There probably isn't much
you can do but thinking about it before hand means you should be
prepared and thus be more likely to survive as a business.

Those mass producing and stockpiling coffins right now are going to
make a killing. Just the other day it was announced that over 80% of
IKEA furniture factories are now engaged on flat pack coffin
production in a wide range of finishes to suit almost any taste (as
long as you are not after non sustainable mahogany or teak)
Tesco are also producing special family sized barbeques with free home
delivery and a selection of incense in many favourite varieties.
Netto, Aldi and Lidl meanwhile are also planning a joint special spade
offer with free depth gauge and a packet of quicklime.

Do you dig graves? Yeah, they're all right. :-)

Dave Liquorice October 6th 05 09:53 PM

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:02:40 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Quite. I had the flu once and it wasn't like any cold I've ever
known.

I've never had flu. The odd bad cold when I've felt awful for three
days but still been able to get up and semi function.

Mind you Dave, don't you live on some freezing remote Scottish hill
top so perhaps it won't survive the trip up there;).......

Not quite in Scotland, 20 miles or so the English side of the Border.
But even Southern China is pretty cold in the winter...

What we could do as a community is put up a series of road blocks and
put ourselves into isolation. Need to know how long the virus remained
viable on surfaces though and what kills it off just to make sure. We
would have to bring food onto The Moor, 2000 people eat a lot in 2
weeks or longer... Hum... contigency planning... hum...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

[email protected] October 7th 05 11:25 AM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 6 Oct 2005 04:54:17 -0700, wrote:

snip totally pointless post.

Not totally pointless.

A post saying nothing but "snip spam" *is* totally pointless IMHO.

MBQ