Default hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Graham

Lurch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, scrawled:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Lurch

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:54:46 +0000, Andy Champ
scrawled:

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.

No-one would be daft enough to put out the non-working stabiliser, but
not the working one. I'd guess it went down a hole.

Looks like he was close to a wall, whether the crane toppled and broke
the stabiliser and pulled the wagon closer to the wall though?

Perhaps they should have left it empty?

Well, I'd imagine it'll be empty now.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Dr Wu

To decide who carries the can for this one, the question is- Who was
responsible for the lifting plan?
The lifting plan outlines the the load to be carrried, the radius, the type
of crane required and in my experience the way the load from the outriggers
(stabilisers) is supported.The plan is an important document that must exist
in the eyes of the Health and Safety Executive before a lift is undertaken.
For some time now crane hire companies will only hire to a party that has a
qualified 'Appointed Person' capable of making out a lifting plan. If no AP
is available then the crane company will carry out a 'Contract Lift' (at a
higher price) and accept responsibility for ensuring the correct size crane
is used for the given load at whatever radius is required. This sounds quite
good for the hirer without an AP, but at the end of the day the hirer is
usually responsible for ensuring that the ground has been checked to ensure
it has the neccessary bearing capacity for the outrigger load.
Often, ground conditions are the reason why a crane tips over.

wrote in message
hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Graham

mrcheerful

wrote in message
hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Graham

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Looks to me like incompetent crane operator.

mrcheerful

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, wrote:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

And:

http://www.sunderland-echo.co.uk/Vie...onID=1107&Arti
cleID=1208650

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X154338EB

That says the stabilisers where out so unless the LH wasn't fully out
or has bent/broken it's a long way into the ground...

I suspect no or to small blocks/boards to spread the load over ground
softer than expected.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Chip C

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:17:13 GMT, wrote:

hot tub - 1

60 tonne crane - nil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

And:

http://www.sunderland-echo.co.uk/Vie...onID=1107&Arti
cleID=1208650

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X154338EB

That says the stabilisers where out so unless the LH wasn't fully out
or has bent/broken it's a long way into the ground...

I suspect no or to small blocks/boards to spread the load over ground
softer than expected.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Well, the reports mention gas main damage, so I'd guess it was the
sunken stabiliser that did that. How deep are gas mains thereabouts?

Chip C

DJC

Andy Champ wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4299742.stm

Doesn't look like the left hand stabiliser was out. Bet that'll go
down well when the insurance company get the report back.

No-one would be daft enough to put out the non-working stabiliser, but
not the working one. I'd guess it went down a hole.

A hole with a gas main in it?

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

mrcheerful . wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Colin Wilson

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Matt

Colin Wilson wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

It's what insurance is for :-)

Frank Erskine

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:31:26 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

Not only gas - there was damage to water mains, lamppost, telephone
cables... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Lurch

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:59:26 +0100, Matt
scrawled:

Colin Wilson wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?
Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

dennis@home

"Lurch" wrote in message

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.

What would be the point of liability insurance if it didn't cover mistakes?
It would be like motor insurance where they don't pay if you make an error.

I doubt if it were overloaded, most hot tubs are ~250-350kg which isn't a
lot (assuming they are empty).

I expect that the ground has been weakened by a burst pipe/mine working and
the stabiliser has fell through.

This /may/ have been avoided if he had used full size sleepers under the
feet but it shouldn't need it.
It probably better that the crane fell in than leaving it and having a
person fall through later.

mrcheerful

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message
.uk...
mrcheerful . wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for a
jolly!

Actually I left the caravan permanently there as a Wendy house, but it would
be cheaper to have it craned in/out once a year than to pay for somewhere to
store it !!!

mrcheerful

SimonJ

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.

What would be the point of liability insurance if it didn't cover

mistakes?
It would be like motor insurance where they don't pay if you make an

error.

The legally required public liability insurance must cover all
eventualities, opperator error included, if the crane co has extra cover to
protect their assets, over and above the legal requirement, it is possible
that thhis cover will contain a clause which excludes opperator error.

I doubt if it were overloaded, most hot tubs are ~250-350kg which isn't a
lot (assuming they are empty).

It depends on the reach required, you need a pretty big crane to swing even
a fairly light load over the top of a house.

I expect that the ground has been weakened by a burst pipe/mine working

and
the stabiliser has fell through.

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

Also if you look carefully in that picture, there is some bloody loony
standing in the window, direcly under the fallen jib! Obviously doesn't
value his life too highly!

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:22:49 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

Actually I left the caravan permanently there as a Wendy house, but it would
be cheaper to have it craned in/out once a year than to pay for somewhere to
store it !!!

When did you change your name by deed poll to Wendy?

(:-)

Graham

Matt

"SimonJ" wrote:

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

If you look at the right hand side hydraulic ram it wasn't extended
enough to reach the ground with the crane on the level.

Does anyone know the crane operating company?

dennis@home

"SimonJ" wrote in message

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see
that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on
the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

I have looked at it and I can't say that I can see what you say.
There is something there but its too low a resolution to be sure.

The other picture I have seen has someones head in the way.

Also if you look carefully in that picture, there is some bloody loony
standing in the window, direcly under the fallen jib! Obviously doesn't
value his life too highly!

He's got a hard hat on so he's alright.

SimonJ

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see
that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if

you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on
the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

I have looked at it and I can't say that I can see what you say.
There is something there but its too low a resolution to be sure.

Save the picture, and blow it up, you can see the bright bit, which in
itself isnt definately the leg, but if you look above it you can see the
dark shape of the rams body (compare it to the other side, you will see it
is a pretty close match)
Also, if you look to the left and beyond the left side light cluster, you
can clearly see a garden gate, and the greenery (lawn?) behind it, if the
leg was extended, that is where it would be, it would be blocking the view
of the gate and lawn.

raden

In message , Matt
writes
"SimonJ" wrote:

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

If you look at the right hand side hydraulic ram it wasn't extended
enough to reach the ground with the crane on the level.

Does anyone know the crane operating company?

Drivel Construction Co

--
geoff
Matt

raden wrote:

In message , Matt
writes

Does anyone know the crane operating company?

Drivel Construction Co

It was a serious question Geoff! But I would have though Dribble,
taking advantage of the natural surroundings would have floated the
hot tub in.