Old October 3rd 05, 07:46 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

mrcheerful . wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Old October 3rd 05, 11:31 PM
Colin Wilson

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****
Old October 3rd 05, 11:59 PM
Matt

Colin Wilson wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

It's what insurance is for :-)

Old October 4th 05, 12:15 AM
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:31:26 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

Not only gas - there was damage to water mains, lamppost, telephone
cables... :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Old October 4th 05, 12:31 AM
Lurch

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 22:59:26 +0100, Matt
scrawled:

Colin Wilson wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?
Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for
a jolly!

I`d hate to be the hot-tub company right about now, if they were the
ones who arranged delivery. It could be a little expensive, considering
the evacuation of the other residents, hire of an even bigger crane, gas
main repairs etc...

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Old October 4th 05, 09:22 AM

"Lurch" wrote in message

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.

What would be the point of liability insurance if it didn't cover mistakes?
It would be like motor insurance where they don't pay if you make an error.

I doubt if it were overloaded, most hot tubs are ~250-350kg which isn't a
lot (assuming they are empty).

I expect that the ground has been weakened by a burst pipe/mine working and
the stabiliser has fell through.

This /may/ have been avoided if he had used full size sleepers under the
feet but it shouldn't need it.
It probably better that the crane fell in than leaving it and having a
person fall through later.

Old October 4th 05, 11:22 AM
mrcheerful

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message
.uk...
mrcheerful . wrote:

I had a caravan lifted over my house, the guys with the crane put railway
sleeper type bits of wood to spread the load, are they in the picture?

Blimey, it would be cheaper to go abroad than take your caravan out for a
jolly!

Actually I left the caravan permanently there as a Wendy house, but it would
be cheaper to have it craned in/out once a year than to pay for somewhere to
store it !!!

mrcheerful

Old October 4th 05, 08:17 PM
SimonJ

It's what insurance is for :-)

Which is invaslid if the operator didn't extend the stabilisers
correctly and\or overloaded the jib.

What would be the point of liability insurance if it didn't cover

mistakes?
It would be like motor insurance where they don't pay if you make an

error.

The legally required public liability insurance must cover all
eventualities, opperator error included, if the crane co has extra cover to
protect their assets, over and above the legal requirement, it is possible
that thhis cover will contain a clause which excludes opperator error.

I doubt if it were overloaded, most hot tubs are ~250-350kg which isn't a
lot (assuming they are empty).

It depends on the reach required, you need a pretty big crane to swing even
a fairly light load over the top of a house.

I expect that the ground has been weakened by a burst pipe/mine working

and
the stabiliser has fell through.

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

Also if you look carefully in that picture, there is some bloody loony
standing in the window, direcly under the fallen jib! Obviously doesn't
value his life too highly!

Old October 4th 05, 10:42 PM

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 09:22:49 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

Actually I left the caravan permanently there as a Wendy house, but it would
be cheaper to have it craned in/out once a year than to pay for somewhere to
store it !!!

When did you change your name by deed poll to Wendy?

(:-)

Graham

Old October 4th 05, 10:43 PM
Matt

"SimonJ" wrote:

If you look very carefully at the picture on the BBC site, you can see that
the stabiliser on the left side of the crane has not been extended, if you
look just below the n/s rear light cluster, you can see the shiny bit on the
end of the hydraulic ram which is the stabliser leg, compare this to the
left side where the leg is about 10 feet away from the light unit.

If you look at the right hand side hydraulic ram it wasn't extended
enough to reach the ground with the crane on the level.

Does anyone know the crane operating company?