DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gloss paint not drying (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/122888-gloss-paint-not-drying.html)

neil leslie October 2nd 05 01:25 PM

gloss paint not drying

I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows
yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom
window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for an
extended period of time for it to dry?

Thanks

The3rd Earl Of Derby October 2nd 05 03:45 PM

neil leslie wrote:
I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows
yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom
window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for an
extended period of time for it to dry?

Thanks

Cheap paint or unsound surface, i.e grease. where the kitchen is concerend
a thorough degreasing agent is required.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon October 2nd 05 09:13 PM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
neil leslie wrote:

I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows
yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom
window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for an
extended period of time for it to dry?

Cheap paint or unsound surface, i.e grease. where the kitchen is concerend
a thorough degreasing agent is required.

Possibly humidity? Leave the window open if it's not raining.

hammy1967 October 3rd 05 12:10 AM

hehehehe reminds me of when some one nicked 5 x 2.5 litre tins of paint from
the back of my pickup . labelled only as white professional high gloss paint
..
i still have fond thoughts of some poor git saying to his wife months down
the line "the paint will be dry soon " no it bloody well wont, not 2 part
paint without the hardener

John Schmitt October 5th 05 11:19 AM

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:25:15 +0100, neil leslie
wrote:

I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows
yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom
window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for an
extended period of time for it to dry?

Was it an old tin of paint? The driers, which are organometallic compounds
to catalyse the crosslinking of the paint resins have a habit of going off
with time.

John Schmitt

The3rd Earl Of Derby October 5th 05 03:58 PM

wrote:

I glossed the kitchen and bathroom woodwork around the windows
yesterday. The kitchen window is fine but 24hrs later the bathroom
window is still tacky. What's causing this and do I simply wait for
an extended period of time for it to dry?

Was it an old tin of paint? The driers, which are organometallic
compounds to catalyse the crosslinking of the paint resins have a
habit of going off with time.

John Schmitt

If the kitchen window dried ok but the bathroom window is still tacky I'd
of thought the paint was not old and the bathroom window needed a good
clean before applying the paint.

Possible there is water/condensation remains have got into the wood behind
the old paint, hence it going tacky.

Puts paid to your rather over zealous assumption.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

John Schmitt October 5th 05 04:25 PM

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 15:58:43 +0100, The3rd Earl Of Derby
wrote:

Possible there is water/condensation remains have got into the wood
behind
the old paint, hence it going tacky.

It has of course occurred to you that the tackiness is only evident
because objects have put onto the shelf and the partly-cured paint has for
that reason revealed a tacky nature? The only reason that water can
interfere with the curing of an oxidatively crosslinking paint is by
immersion, which physically debars the oxygen.

Puts paid to your rather over zealous assumption.

Three years in the industry of formulating paints, adhesives and the like,
I would describe as experience rather than assumption.

John Schmitt

Chris Bacon October 5th 05 09:14 PM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
[ snip ]
Puts paid to your rather over zealous assumption.

You are supposed to be blinded by science.

Andy Champ October 5th 05 09:43 PM

wrote:

Possible there is water/condensation remains have got into the wood
behind
the old paint, hence it going tacky.

It has of course occurred to you that the tackiness is only evident
because objects have put onto the shelf and the partly-cured paint has
for that reason revealed a tacky nature? The only reason that water
can interfere with the curing of an oxidatively crosslinking paint is
by immersion, which physically debars the oxygen.

Puts paid to your rather over zealous assumption.

Three years in the industry of formulating paints, adhesives and the
like, I would describe as experience rather than assumption.

John Schmitt

Now where was it I was reading the other day about someone who had 5
tins of 2-pot paint stolen from his truck - but not the hardener?

Andy