DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Refitting floorstanding radiators on new parquet (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/122535-refitting-floorstanding-radiators-new-parquet.html)

OK September 28th 05 08:48 PM

Refitting floorstanding radiators on new parquet

We've got some floorstanding cast iron radiators. I removed them to fit
a floating laminate floor on top of the floorboards. With the radiators
sitting on the new parquet, the radiator connections are now about 10mm
higher than before. What's the best way of reconnecting to the original
pipework? The pipes are steel, so there is no easy way to bend them,
and are perpendicular to the wall with a thermostatic valve giving a
90=B0 turn to connect to the side of the radiator.

Is there any sort of 'S' shaped connection (presumably with 20/27
threaded connections at either end) that can be used to correct for the
change in levels? Or should I just make holes in the new parquet so
that the radiator legs stand on the original floorboards at the
original height?

Chris Bacon September 28th 05 09:26 PM

OK wrote:
We've got some floorstanding cast iron radiators. I removed them to fit
a floating laminate floor on top of the floorboards. With the radiators
sitting on the new parquet, the radiator connections are now about 10mm
higher than before. What's the best way of reconnecting to the original
pipework? The pipes are steel, so there is no easy way to bend them,
and are perpendicular to the wall with a thermostatic valve giving a
90° turn to connect to the side of the radiator.

Cut holes in the laminated floor. I'm not with you on the parquet,
though. Have you got a parquet floor, ot laminated, or both?

OK September 29th 05 08:00 AM

Sorry for any confusion; I thought the terms laminated and parquet were
interchangeable after reading Quickstep's site. The radiator legs are
oval and approx 30mm wide for the longest dimension. So I guess I will
need to cut a nice round hole 35 or 40 mm diameter in the laminated
flooring?

Lobster September 29th 05 09:49 AM

OK wrote:
Sorry for any confusion; I thought the terms laminated and parquet were
interchangeable after reading Quickstep's site. The radiator legs are
oval and approx 30mm wide for the longest dimension. So I guess I will
need to cut a nice round hole 35 or 40 mm diameter in the laminated
flooring?

That's got to be the easiest solution. Unless the legs on the rad can
be shortened, maybe, which mught look neater?

David

Chris Bacon September 29th 05 10:53 AM

Lobster wrote:
OK wrote:

Sorry for any confusion; I thought the terms laminated and parquet were
interchangeable after reading Quickstep's site. The radiator legs are
oval and approx 30mm wide for the longest dimension. So I guess I will
need to cut a nice round hole 35 or 40 mm diameter in the laminated
flooring?

Why not cut a nice oval hole to fit?

That's got to be the easiest solution. Unless the legs on the rad can
be shortened, maybe, which mught look neater?

Would be rather unfortunate were the laminate floor to be
replaced - the stands would then need to be packed!