DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Couple of questions on applying / removing silicone (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/122476-couple-questions-applying-removing-silicone.html)

Steven Campbell September 27th 05 10:09 PM

Couple of questions on applying / removing silicone

Any good tips on applying silicone properly?

I was doing the gap round the bath and ran masking tape round the tiles and
round the bath in order to create a nice sharp line. But the actual silicone
itself ended up drying kind of lumpy. I ran my wet finger over it after I
had applied it and it looked really smooth but didn't dry out that way. I
know screwfix sell a tool to smooth it, but would that make much difference?

Also what is the best stuff for removing silicone? I bought Silicone eater
or something similar from B&Q and left it overnight. It hardly took any of
it away. Ideally I would like to remove it all and reapply it again.
Thanks

Steven.

Chris Bacon September 27th 05 10:24 PM

Steven Campbell wrote:
Any good tips on applying silicone properly?

As you did, using masking tape, & tooling off the silicone.

I was doing the gap round the bath and ran masking tape round the tiles and
round the bath in order to create a nice sharp line. But the actual silicone
itself ended up drying kind of lumpy. I ran my wet finger over it after I
had applied it and it looked really smooth but didn't dry out that way.

The question is, was it really silicone? Also, was there a big
difference in thickness of the applied jollop anywhere? Was it
really thick?

know screwfix sell a tool to smooth it, but would that make much difference?

Don't think so.

Also what is the best stuff for removing silicone? I bought Silicone eater
or something similar from B&Q and left it overnight. It hardly took any of
it away. Ideally I would like to remove it all and reapply it again.

Careful physical removal with a sharp blade first, then "silicone
eater". Petrol on a rag also clinkles it up if the silicone is in
a thin layer.

Dave September 28th 05 07:44 PM

Chris Bacon wrote:

Petrol on a rag also clinkles it up if the silicone is in
a thin layer.

Are you talking about lighter fuel, or petrol that we use in a car?

Dave

Chris Bacon September 28th 05 09:21 PM

Dave wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Petrol on a rag also clinkles it up if the silicone is in
a thin layer.

Are you talking about lighter fuel, or petrol that we use in a car?

Petrol.