DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   security light (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/121943-security-light.html)

NC September 23rd 05 09:52 AM

security light

I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

Ian Stirling September 23rd 05 10:36 AM

NC wrote:
I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

Essentially all of them - if you wire it using 4 way cable, and
connect it up to the choccy block bit that normally connects the circuitry
alone to one side of the lamp.
Do check that the lamp is switched live first.

John Rumm September 23rd 05 10:42 AM

NC wrote:

I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

IME many do have an override. With some it is a separate switch
position, with otheres it is a sequence slected one. So for example
turning the lights on-off-on again in the space of 1 second causes them
to stay on.

If you use a spearate PIR sensor with an ordinary light fitting then it
is simple to wire a two gang switch such that one can turn the light Off
completely, or place it into auto mode, and the second switch can
override "auto" and force it into "on".

--
Cheers,

John.

Rob Morley September 23rd 05 12:06 PM

In article ,
says...
I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

Any that you can get inside and hook up a separate live and neutral
direct to the lamp, bypassing the PIR switch.

Jeff September 23rd 05 12:20 PM

"NC" wrote in message
I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

Mine have this function, can't remember now if they came from B&Q or
wickes - just open the box and read the instructions to check before
purchase

Regards Jeff

Bob Mannix September 23rd 05 12:21 PM

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

Its easy to add an isolation switch to turn it off, but not many seem to
have a user override (using a simple wall switch inside the house) to
put the light perm on.
Anyone recommend a particular model that will do this ?

Any that you can get inside and hook up a separate live and neutral
direct to the lamp, bypassing the PIR switch.

Obviously 1 & 3 are there by default. As to #2... mine *used* to have a
system where you switched the light off then on for 2 seconds , off, then
back on again (IIRC). It would then stay on. I haven't actually checked its
replacement, but I suspect they stopped providing this facility.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Ian Stirling September 23rd 05 03:32 PM

Bob Mannix wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I am trying to find a security light that has 3 settings:
1. on/off by PIR
2. On
3. Off.

snip
Obviously 1 & 3 are there by default. As to #2... mine *used* to have a
system where you switched the light off then on for 2 seconds , off, then
back on again (IIRC). It would then stay on. I haven't actually checked its
replacement, but I suspect they stopped providing this facility.

It depends on the model.

Mark September 24th 05 02:16 PM

Ian Stirling wrote:
Bob Mannix wrote:
Obviously 1 & 3 are there by default. As to #2... mine *used* to have a
system where you switched the light off then on for 2 seconds , off, then
back on again (IIRC). It would then stay on. I haven't actually checked its
replacement, but I suspect they stopped providing this facility.

It depends on the model.

I'm guessing that Part L regs may have interfered a bit.

My understanding of Part L is that it is illegal to install an
incadescent light outside which will not automatically shut off.

This could potentially mean that newer models lack this 'on' feature,
and you'll have to hook up an override switch yourself (easy enough -
you need to run 4 core cable to the light, and provide a seperate
switched live feed to the lamp).