DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   [?] How to clean a marble headstone in a cemetery. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/121379-%5B-%5D-how-clean-marble-headstone-cemetery.html)

David Chapman September 18th 05 05:58 PM

[?] How to clean a marble headstone in a cemetery.

Hi all,

I would like to clean up a marble headstone that has been exposed to
the elements in a cemetery for the last 20 years.

Searching the 'web' has, so far, not turned up any sensible DIY
options. Most of the comments that I have read so far are statements
that marble headstones need to be removed and taken away for
professional cleaning and then refitted, all at considerable cost.

I can understand the need for professional treatment when the
headstone is VERY old and delicate, but surely there is a simpler DIY
method suitable for cleaning one that is only 20 years old. One
suggestion stated that 'Cif' was good for the job but, on the container
it specifically states that it is not suitable for use on any marble
surfaces.

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

ATB - Dave

David C.Chapman - )

Rob Morley September 18th 05 06:26 PM

In article ,
says...

Hi all,

I would like to clean up a marble headstone that has been exposed to
the elements in a cemetery for the last 20 years.

Searching the 'web' has, so far, not turned up any sensible DIY
options. Most of the comments that I have read so far are statements
that marble headstones need to be removed and taken away for
professional cleaning and then refitted, all at considerable cost.

I can understand the need for professional treatment when the
headstone is VERY old and delicate, but surely there is a simpler DIY
method suitable for cleaning one that is only 20 years old. One
suggestion stated that 'Cif' was good for the job but, on the container
it specifically states that it is not suitable for use on any marble
surfaces.

As Cif is particularly good at dissolving lime deposits, and marble is a
form of limestone, it's probably not a good idea to use that.

[email protected] September 18th 05 06:31 PM

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

I googled "clean marble" and came up with this address, among others:

http://doityourself.com/clean/marble.htm

Tony.

Dave Plowman (News) September 18th 05 10:15 PM

In article ,
David Chapman wrote:
I can understand the need for professional treatment when the
headstone is VERY old and delicate, but surely there is a simpler DIY
method suitable for cleaning one that is only 20 years old. One
suggestion stated that 'Cif' was good for the job but, on the container
it specifically states that it is not suitable for use on any marble
surfaces.

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

I was told to use VIM and water on a marble fireplace. Basically, you need
a fine water based abrasive.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.