Steve

Default Potterton Profile 50e ignition problems

Hi,

My Potterton Profile 50e has been starting only intermittently recently.
I've been trying to figure out what the problem is using the handy
fault finding chart at the back of the boiler manual, but I'm not too
sure exactly what the problem is.

When I call for heat, I hear the fan switch on (not cycling on/off, it's
on continuously). Up until a couple of weeks ago I'd get one or more
sparks from the electrode - sometimes the pilot would light first try,
sometimes it wouldn't light at all. If it doesn't light after 3 or 4
attempts, the fan will keep going but ignition will stop. Usually, by
switching off then switching on, it'll light on the second or third
attempt.

However, it's been deteriorating recently - I'm now rarely getting any
ignition sparks. Also, on one of the ignition attempts this morning, I
noticed that the pilot light started up but then died out a couple of
seconds later.

One slightly disturbing thing I noticed when listening carefully this
afternoon was that after the fan starts up and before the ignition
attempts, there is a electric buzzing/crackling sound, as if electricity
is arcing somewhere.

From the fault finding chart, that puts my problem at either a leaking
case door, a problem with the electrode lead, a problem with the
electronic control, a problem with a blocked pilot jet, or a problem with
the solenoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions where/how I should start isolating the
fault, or for what the problem could be?
Steve

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:34:40 +0100, Steve wrote:

One slightly disturbing thing I noticed when listening carefully this
afternoon was that after the fan starts up and before the ignition
attempts, there is a electric buzzing/crackling sound, as if electricity
is arcing somewhere.

A correction: the buzzing/crackling sound occurs immediately before the
*fan* starts, not before the ignition attempts.

Steve
raden

In message , Steve
writes
[...]

From the fault finding chart, that puts my problem at either a leaking
case door, a problem with the electrode lead, a problem with the
electronic control, a problem with a blocked pilot jet, or a problem with
the solenoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions where/how I should start isolating the
fault, or for what the problem could be?

I'd suspect a cracked joint on the pcb if you can hear arcing and the
problem's getting worse

--
geoff
Steve

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:56:49 +0000, raden wrote:
I'd suspect a cracked joint on the pcb if you can hear arcing and the
problem's getting worse

The PCB should be fairly low voltage though, shouldn't it? Not enough to
cause arcing?

Steve
raden

In message , Steve
writes
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:34:40 +0100, Steve wrote:

One slightly disturbing thing I noticed when listening carefully this
afternoon was that after the fan starts up and before the ignition
attempts, there is a electric buzzing/crackling sound, as if electricity
is arcing somewhere.

A correction: the buzzing/crackling sound occurs immediately before the
*fan* starts, not before the ignition attempts.

Then apart from what I said before, could be the air pressure switch or
a relay on the pcb

--
geoff

raden

In message , Steve
writes
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:56:49 +0000, raden wrote:
I'd suspect a cracked joint on the pcb if you can hear arcing and the
problem's getting worse

The PCB should be fairly low voltage though, shouldn't it? Not enough to
cause arcing?

You don't know much about CH controls do you ?

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

[...]

From the fault finding chart, that puts my problem at either a leaking
case door, a problem with the electrode lead, a problem with the
electronic control, a problem with a blocked pilot jet, or a problem with
the solenoid.

Does anyone have any suggestions where/how I should start isolating the
fault, or for what the problem could be?

Having read the other post in this thread:

The PCB (on this boiler) is mixture of mains , HT and maybe some low
voltage stuff as well.

You could have a failing APS which might be causing these symptoms.
Your PCB may have problems.
Your ignition lead might be shorting out - but that would not account for
the buzzing noises and the failure of the pilot light.

If you hadn't mentioned the buzzing _before_ the fan starts then I'd have
said go for the APS first. Now I'd go for the PCB first.

Steve

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:40:59 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

The PCB (on this boiler) is mixture of mains , HT and maybe some low
voltage stuff as well.

You could have a failing APS which might be causing these symptoms.
Your PCB may have problems.
Your ignition lead might be shorting out - but that would not account for
the buzzing noises and the failure of the pilot light.

If you hadn't mentioned the buzzing _before_ the fan starts then I'd have
said go for the APS first. Now I'd go for the PCB first.

How would I go about determining whether it's the PCB or the APS? A few
seconds after the fan starts, I hear a single click, which could possibly
be the PCB relay - I'm not sure what else would make a click a couple of
seconds after the fan.

Unfortunately, the problem is getting worse and I'm not getting any sparks
at all anymore, so I can't see if I get additional noises when the boiler
does successfully light (which would presumably be the ignition relay).

Thanks to you and Geoff for your replys!

Steve
raden

In message , Steve
writes
[...]

You need a meter

You need to switch off the boiler

Remove one of the tubes going to the APS at the other end so you can
suck or blow to activate the APS

The APS is a changeover microswitch connected to a membrane

Now, remove the connector labelled Air pressure switch from the pcb
(I can't remember off hand which of T4, T5 and T6 are the normally
closed, common and normally open leads, you will have to either look on
the APS or try and see). If you measure at this connector, you are also
checking the wiring to the APS

At rest, two of the contacts should be a short circuit. By this I mean
less than a couple of ohms. Check the resistance of your probes first.

Now, suck or blow (depending on which tube) GENTLY (so you don't rupture
the membrane) to change the APS in the normally open position. Again,
you should see a resistance of less than a couple of ohms.

Do this a couple of times for consistency

Finally, activate the APS and bend the pipe - make sure that the APS
doesn't return to the rest position to check that the membrane is intact

--
geoff
Steve

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:40:59 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

If you hadn't mentioned the buzzing _before_ the fan starts then I'd have
said go for the APS first. Now I'd go for the PCB first.

Out of interest, why do you say that?

I've just tried checking the impedance of the APS when blowing and not
blowing. It seems to be working correctly, but I hear a crackling sound
(the membrane inside the sensor, I assume) and was wondering if this would
have been what you thought the buzzing sound was - if it happened after
the fan starts (which would cause a pressure change, hence crackling from
the APS).

raden

In message , Steve
writes
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:40:59 +0100, Ed Sirett wrote:

If you hadn't mentioned the buzzing _before_ the fan starts then I'd have
said go for the APS first. Now I'd go for the PCB first.

Out of interest, why do you say that?

I've just tried checking the impedance

Resistance (it's a switch) ... less than an ohm ish?

of the APS when blowing and not
blowing.

Are you saying you've tested the aps microswitch in the closed and open
positions?

It seems to be working correctly, but I hear a crackling sound
(the membrane inside the sensor, I assume) and was wondering if this would
have been what you thought the buzzing sound was

No, more like the sound of electricity arcing across a quickly
deteriorating solder joint

- if it happened after
the fan starts (which would cause a pressure change, hence crackling from
the APS).

Crackling and buzzing aren't really the same, are they ?

--
geoff

Potterton Suprimo 60 Boiler problems Mick UK diy 3 January 13th 05 08:57 PM
Potterton suprima Jim Thorogood UK diy 4 December 21st 04 12:53 AM
Carrier Heat Pump Control Problems Art Renkes Home Repair 4 November 2nd 04 01:03 AM
tic-tic-tic Cozy Counterflow w/Robertshaw ignition Ron Thomas Home Repair 0 October 10th 04 06:35 PM
Gas boiler ignition problems a_mcbride UK diy 9 November 5th 03 05:30 PM