DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Scratched phone screen (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/120511-scratched-phone-screen.html)

Mike Barnes September 11th 05 10:36 PM

Scratched phone screen

Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

--
Mike Barnes

Bob Smith September 12th 05 12:17 AM

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

If the scratch is deep you will end up with a dint in the screen if you
successfully polish the scratch out. Try filling it with varnish or wetting
it with an oil or Mr Sheen.

Bob

ben September 12th 05 12:38 AM

Mike Barnes wrote:
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

If its an LCD chances are you might damage it with pressure being applied
to it.

However if scratches are very light on a plastic transparency the use of
brasso rubbed in a circular motion will erase most of the scratch.

Brasso is a fine cutting agent.

Ian Stirling September 12th 05 01:31 AM

Mike Barnes wrote:
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

That's a good reason to buy phones with cheap covers.

Henry September 12th 05 01:57 AM

message ...
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

Brasso or burnishing cream work well.

Henry

Rob Morley September 12th 05 02:49 AM

In article , bob@nospamplease
says...

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

If the scratch is deep you will end up with a dint in the screen if you
successfully polish the scratch out.

Unless you flat everything back with wet & dry first, in which case you
just end up with a thinner screen.

Bob Eager September 12th 05 07:41 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:36:27 UTC, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

I once got some mobile phone screen scratch removal polish. It came in a
'refurbish' kit on special offer from Orange. I bought the kit because
it was the cheapest way of getting a new antenna (also included)...

I guess it was a very fine abrasive (small tube, about superglue size).
Jeweller's rouge?

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

P.R.Brady September 12th 05 11:42 AM

Mike Barnes wrote:
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

Sounds far fetched but I heard of tobacco ash being used for TV screens.
Phil

[email protected] September 12th 05 03:13 PM

Try T-cut and a duster. Also handy for scratched safty-specs.

Bax

Henry September 12th 05 06:57 PM

Sounds far fetched but I heard of tobacco ash being used for TV screens.

When I polished a piece of beach found amber for my wife I started with fine
wet and dry followed by burnishing paste and finished with moistened
cigarette ash as the final polish. It would take ages getting a deep scratch
out with it though.

Henry

Dave September 12th 05 07:47 PM

Mike Barnes wrote:
Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

If you are on contract with insurance, drop it on the floor from
sufficient height to kill it and claim a new one.

If on contract without insurance, then wait until up-grade time and get
a new phone for free. That is what I do with Orange.

If it is pay as you go, then it is time to throw it away and get a new
phone. :-)

The batteries die at about 18 to 24 months anyway.

Dave

Dave Fawthrop September 12th 05 08:44 PM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:47:04 +0000 (UTC), Dave
wrote:

| Mike Barnes wrote:
| Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
| what?
|
| If you are on contract with insurance, drop it on the floor from
| sufficient height to kill it and claim a new one.
|
| If on contract without insurance, then wait until up-grade time and get
| a new phone for free. That is what I do with Orange.
|
| If it is pay as you go, then it is time to throw it away and get a new
| phone. :-)
|
| The batteries die at about 18 to 24 months anyway.

Alternatively just buy a new case at a mobile phone shop.
Avoid Harry Potter ones if not a child.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.

RzB September 12th 05 09:35 PM

This worked well on my Palm...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

Roy

Bob Eager September 12th 05 10:11 PM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:35:46 UTC, "RzB"
wrote:

This worked well on my Palm...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

Yup, that's the stuff I mentioned I got in my Orange pack. Worked well
for me too.

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

Mike Barnes September 12th 05 10:23 PM

In uk.d-i-y, RzB wrote:
This worked well on my Palm...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

Thanks, I'll give that a go. BTW it's a bit cheaper on eBay (but what
isn't?).

--
Mike Barnes

Ziggur September 12th 05 10:28 PM

In article ,
says...

The batteries die at about 18 to 24 months anyway.

I hope that this is not a proven fact.

If it's true then mine have been dead for 3 years!

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Dave September 12th 05 10:53 PM

Ziggur wrote:
In article ,
says...

The batteries die at about 18 to 24 months anyway.

I hope that this is not a proven fact.

If it's true then mine have been dead for 3 years!

Depends what you mean by dead for 3 years.
If a phone battery is still gong after 3 years, then the re-charge time
will come around that much faster.

My last phone, a Nokia 6310, would last nearly 2 weeks on standby, after
being re-charged.

How long does your phone last.

Dave

Mike Barnes September 14th 05 05:30 PM

In uk.d-i-y, RzB wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
d...
In uk.d-i-y, RzB wrote:
This worked well on my Palm...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

Thanks, I'll give that a go. BTW it's a bit cheaper on eBay (but what
isn't?).

Watch out for postage on Ebay...

It was £3.98 including postage and did the job perfectly. Unfortunately
my Nokia 6100 has (had!) a coated screen, so, as it says in the
instructions, once you start you have to polish *all* the coating off,
which took about half an hour of very hard rubbing before I ran out of
patience in the corners. Fortunately the advice to mask off the area
round the screen was unnecessary - masking tape simply can't stand up to
that sort of rubbing.

I now have one sparkling scratch-free screen (and a rather sore finger).
Thanks to all.

--
Mike Barnes

[email protected] September 16th 05 08:44 PM

A Warning: Do not trust mobilefun.co.uk.
I do not know how they operate in England, but my experience purchasing

from abroad (Italy) showed they are not deserving any confidence.
Firstly, they (two times!) accepted online my payment with Credit
Card, and then wrote me in the Aknowledgement of the order they require

instead a Bank transfer (so they saved commissions to my expenses!).
Then, following to my having transferred them money in excess, instead
of returning me the remaining sum as they promised on the phone (10 GBP

over a 50 GBP purchase) they sent me an invoice with the price
increased of exactly 10 GBP higher, so that the excess money
disappeared in their pockets. And to my letters they responded
confirming the "error" but never returned me the differnce.
They cannot be trusted, therefore!

In uk.d-i-y, RzB wrote:
This worked well on my Palm...

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3298.htm

Thanks, I'll give that a go. BTW it's a bit cheaper on eBay (but what
isn't?).

Watch out for postage on Ebay...

It was =A33.98 including postage and did the job perfectly. Unfortunately
my Nokia 6100 has (had!) a coated screen, so, as it says in the
instructions, once you start you have to polish *all* the coating off,
which took about half an hour of very hard rubbing before I ran out of
patience in the corners. Fortunately the advice to mask off the area
round the screen was unnecessary - masking tape simply can't stand up to
that sort of rubbing.

I now have one sparkling scratch-free screen (and a rather sore finger).
Thanks to all.
=20
--=20
Mike Barnes

nog September 17th 05 08:15 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:36:27 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Can I polish out scratches on my mobile phone screen, and if so, with
what?

Toothpaste is often recommended on uk.telecom.mobile