DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/120306-painting-question.html)

R September 9th 05 08:16 PM

Painting question

Hi,

I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

TIA.

Weatherlawyer September 9th 05 09:15 PM

Please yourself. If you still have the same can of paint and it has not
changed colour due to contamination or something, it should be fine.

Don't hang onto old paint, it is likely to give on you.

Harry Bloomfield September 9th 05 10:11 PM

R explained on 09/09/2005 :
I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

If the paint was well mixed before use and the previous coats were
recent, then just paint the corner. If the rest was a less than perfect
covering, then the corner then might have better cover than the rest.
Try it and leave it for 24 hours - then see how it blends in.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

woodglass September 10th 05 01:43 AM

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
Please yourself. If you still have the same can of paint and it has not
changed colour due to contamination or something, it should be fine.

Don't hang onto old paint, it is likely to give on you.

I'm interested, just exactly what does this statement mean (No insult
intended !)

Stuart Noble September 10th 05 09:21 AM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
R explained on 09/09/2005 :

I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

If the paint was well mixed before use and the previous coats were
recent, then just paint the corner. If the rest was a less than perfect
covering, then the corner then might have better cover than the rest.
Try it and leave it for 24 hours - then see how it blends in.

If it still looks patchy after a "few" coats, I'd use an oil based paint
on that patch. Sounds like it's super absorbent for some reason.

Weatherlawyer September 10th 05 05:13 PM

woodglass wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Please yourself.

Do as you wish or as you see fit.....

If you still have the same can of paint and it has not changed
colour due to contamination or something, it should be fine.

....... within the parameter that the paint will still be the same shade
or tone.

R September 11th 05 11:57 AM

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:16:10 +0100, R wrote:

Hi,

I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

TIA.

Thanks for the answers

R.

Christian McArdle September 12th 05 02:26 PM

I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

What paint did you use?

If you use something decent like Dulux Trade or Farrow and Ball, then there
might be a problem with the ceiling. If it was B&Q value, then you could
paint 10 coats and it'll still look rank.

Christian.

R September 15th 05 07:18 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:26:15 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I have painted a few coats of paint on my bathroom ceiling. It's
still a bit patchy in one corner. Is there a good reason why I should
do a whole new coat or is it OK to paint just the corner again?

What paint did you use?

If you use something decent like Dulux Trade or Farrow and Ball, then there
might be a problem with the ceiling. If it was B&Q value, then you could
paint 10 coats and it'll still look rank.

I should have explained more. The ceiling was painted with Dulux
kitchen and bathroom paint. The corner in question had to be
replastered and hence had less coats. It looks fine now.

Cheers, R