DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing unwanted wall lights (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/119954-removing-unwanted-wall-lights.html)

ian September 6th 05 09:18 PM

Removing unwanted wall lights

I have a wall light on a wall in my house but want to remove it and
dont want to put another one up in its place.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the wires that are left
hanging from the wall safe?

Cheers

Ian

ben September 6th 05 09:24 PM

ian wrote:
I have a wall light on a wall in my house but want to remove it and
dont want to put another one up in its place.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the wires that are left
hanging from the wall safe?

Cheers

Ian

Take the floorboard up in the room above a cut the cable then bare the
wires and put it on a junction box, put floorboards back down. Done. :-)
Don't put connector blocks on the wires down stairs and plaster over it,
someone might accidently drill or hang a pic or summat and go through
cable. Arrrgh!

Dark Angel September 6th 05 09:48 PM

"ben" wrote in message...
Take the floorboard up in the room above a cut the cable then bare the
wires and put it on a junction box, put floorboards back down. Done. :-)

Alternatively, lift floorboards in the room above, find out where the cables
are wired into (ceiling rose or junction box) and disconnect them.

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Harry Bloomfield September 6th 05 09:53 PM

ian explained on 06/09/2005 :
I have a wall light on a wall in my house but want to remove it and
dont want to put another one up in its place.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the wires that are left
hanging from the wall safe?

Cheers

Ian

Trace the wires up the wall, under the floor to wherever the source of
supply is. The floor boards will most likely show indications of having
been lifted before, to orginally install them. Then disconnect them at
the source.... Most likely this will be at the centre light in the same
room.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

ben September 6th 05 10:05 PM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ian explained on 06/09/2005 :
I have a wall light on a wall in my house but want to remove it and
dont want to put another one up in its place.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the wires that are left
hanging from the wall safe?

Cheers

Ian

Trace the wires up the wall, under the floor to wherever the source of
supply is. The floor boards will most likely show indications of
having been lifted before, to orginally install them. Then disconnect
them at the source.... Most likely this will be at the centre light
in the same room.

Reason I said put in a junction box is...he might need a supply at a later
date? saves ****ing about undoing the ceiling rose wires, especially if it
has a few wires going to it. :-)

Harry Bloomfield September 6th 05 10:08 PM

ben used his keyboard to write :
Reason I said put in a junction box is...he might need a supply at a later
date? saves ****ing about undoing the ceiling rose wires, especially if it
has a few wires going to it. :-)

...and much easier to reconnect at the ceiling rose (assuming that is
where it comes from), than lifting the floor baords to get at it if it
is cut off there.

Frank Erskine September 6th 05 11:10 PM

On 6 Sep 2005 13:18:43 -0700, "ian" wrote:

I have a wall light on a wall in my house but want to remove it and
dont want to put another one up in its place.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the wires that are left
hanging from the wall safe?

When I bought this place, there were some wall lights in the living
room wired by two-core flex running diagonally under (just!) the
plaster to the back of a 13A socket.

You could get a nice glow on a neon screwdriver by touching the wall
with the tip...

:-(

--
Frank Erskine