AlexW

Default Clear Silicone: Life span?

I was wondering if anyone knows what the lifespan of clear silicone
sealant is when exposed to UV (i.e. south facing aspect)? I am thinking
of ordinary builders stuff used externally here rather than anything
special.

TIA,

Alex.
John Schmitt

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:30:02 +0100, AlexW wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows what the lifespan of clear silicone
sealant is when exposed to UV (i.e. south facing aspect)? I am thinking
of ordinary builders stuff used externally here rather than anything
special.

I believe the normal manufacturers' warranty is 10 years. Experience would
suggest that this is rather conservative, to my knowledge no RTV silicone
has failed in normal service since its invention about fifty years ago.

John Schmitt

AlexW

John Schmitt wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:30:02 +0100, AlexW wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows what the lifespan of clear silicone
sealant is when exposed to UV (i.e. south facing aspect)? I am
thinking of ordinary builders stuff used externally here rather than
anything special.

I believe the normal manufacturers' warranty is 10 years. Experience
would suggest that this is rather conservative, to my knowledge no RTV
silicone has failed in normal service since its invention about fifty
years ago.

John Schmitt

Thanks John...

Pretty resilient then.

FYI: unibond's site quotes 35 years, but I was not sure if this was for
higher performance stuff.

Cheers,

Alex.