DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Outside PIR Lights (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/119318-outside-pir-lights.html)

john September 1st 05 08:49 PM

Outside PIR Lights

This site has some good information and a super working example about
dazzle.

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/cfds/floodlights.html?0O

Soon be time for dark evenings and the paper delivery boy will be causing
the houses across the road to be lit up!

John

Harry Bloomfield September 1st 05 09:13 PM

john was thinking very hard :
This site has some good information and a super working example about dazzle.

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~dbl/cfds/floodlights.html?0O

Soon be time for dark evenings and the paper delivery boy will be causing the
houses across the road to be lit up!

John

The problem with many combined PIR security lights is that the light
can only be tilted down so far, until it starts to force the PIR to
also look down at the ground.

Referring to the above URL, if no research has been down as to the
deterance value of PIR operated flood lights, how can they express an
opinion as to their value? Aside from the deterance value, they are
also of value for the owners to see their own way around.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

john September 1st 05 09:40 PM

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
john was thinking very hard :
[...]

I have my drive illuminated by a light pointing almost verticallty down -
the PIR senses the whole drive effectively without modifications.
The point of the site is to illustrate that pointing downwards is more
effective.

Harry Bloomfield September 1st 05 09:43 PM

john submitted this idea :
I have my drive illuminated by a light pointing almost verticallty down - the
PIR senses the whole drive effectively without modifications.
The point of the site is to illustrate that pointing downwards is more
effective.

I agree fully with the effectiveness, I am just critical of some of the
designs of PIR light.

john September 1st 05 11:06 PM

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
john submitted this idea :
I have my drive illuminated by a light pointing almost verticallty down -
the PIR senses the whole drive effectively without modifications.
The point of the site is to illustrate that pointing downwards is more
effective.

I agree fully with the effectiveness, I am just critical of some of the
designs of PIR light.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

I agree - but mounting higher can help. On an estate I drive through people
use them as porch lights!