DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   SDS plugging chisel (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/119144-sds-plugging-chisel.html)

Andrew Gabriel August 31st 05 09:12 AM

SDS plugging chisel

Has anyone come across an SDS plugging chisel (for repointing brickwork)?
Screwfix have something they call a mortar chisel -- not sure what this
is for, but it looks nothing like a convensional plugging chisel such as
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/68/p2605168_l.jpg

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] August 31st 05 09:55 AM

If you really need to chisel it out with an sds then it probably
doesn't need pointing. SDS chisel will also damage the brick work.
Potential diy disaster looming here!

Andrew Gabriel August 31st 05 10:35 AM

In article . com,
writes:
If you really need to chisel it out with an sds then it probably
doesn't need pointing. SDS chisel will also damage the brick work.
Potential diy disaster looming here!

Yes I realise this. Reason for SDS is twofold...
There are some small areas which strictly don't need it, but I
don't want to leave them looking different from the rest of the
wall. Secondly, some parts have been done with a very hard cement
mortar (on a lime mortar house). These have of course all cracked
away from the brick on one side, but it's still hard work.

It can all be done by hand, but it's taking too long.

--
Andrew Gabriel

David Hearn August 31st 05 11:14 AM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
writes:

If you really need to chisel it out with an sds then it probably
doesn't need pointing. SDS chisel will also damage the brick work.
Potential diy disaster looming here!

Yes I realise this. Reason for SDS is twofold...
There are some small areas which strictly don't need it, but I
don't want to leave them looking different from the rest of the
wall. Secondly, some parts have been done with a very hard cement
mortar (on a lime mortar house). These have of course all cracked
away from the brick on one side, but it's still hard work.

It can all be done by hand, but it's taking too long.

I think I once saw a skate type thing which you fitted a masonry drill
into at an angle. This allowed you to 'drill' out the mortar to a set
depth just slowly pushing the drill along the coarse of bricks.

I used an SDS drill to remove tiles last week - and I found that you had
to push quite hard to get the hammer action to kick in. I could imagine
that doing this on mortar would be quite difficult as it would keep
stopping and you'd need to restart each time.

I suspect that the standard drill + skate thing might be better - but I
don't fully know your situation.

John Rumm August 31st 05 04:53 PM

David Hearn wrote:

I used an SDS drill to remove tiles last week - and I found that you had
to push quite hard to get the hammer action to kick in. I could imagine
that doing this on mortar would be quite difficult as it would keep
stopping and you'd need to restart each time.

That is one of the problems you don't get if you go for a decent SDS
drill. You should be able to get a very smooth and light application of
hammer (as long as you lubricate the bit shanks every now and then!)

--
Cheers,

John.