DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Creaking Stairs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/118883-creaking-stairs.html)

[email protected] August 29th 05 03:23 PM

Creaking Stairs

My Pine staircase has been creaking for a few years now. The treads and
risers seem to be coming un-glued from the side faces. I intend to
re-glue them all and then tension the side faces together. I'd like to
used a decorative Coach bolt on the outside and threaded rod. Does
anyone know of a turn-buckle with a left and right handed thread
suitable for M8 threaded rod.

TIA - Chris.

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- August 29th 05 08:31 PM

On 29 Aug 2005 07:23:24 -0700, wrote:

Does
anyone know of a turn-buckle with a left and right handed thread
suitable for M8 threaded rod.

If you can't find them elsewhere I would try your local Chandlery as
they may be used in rigging on boats.

sponix

[email protected] August 29th 05 11:13 PM

I have seen the sort of turn-buckle that is used to tension fence wire
but nothing to take an M8 thread at each end.

The easy way is to just use a length of M8 rod and an M8 nut on the
outside face of the stair. This will not look as neat as a Coach Bolt
head.

Chris.

P.R.Brady August 31st 05 02:34 PM

wrote:
My Pine staircase has been creaking for a few years now. The treads and
risers seem to be coming un-glued from the side faces. I intend to
re-glue them all and then tension the side faces together. I'd like to
used a decorative Coach bolt on the outside and threaded rod. Does
anyone know of a turn-buckle with a left and right handed thread
suitable for M8 threaded rod.

TIA - Chris.

tried talcum powder?

phil

[email protected] September 1st 05 04:42 PM

Nope, but I will.
Thanks.

Chris Bacon September 1st 05 05:10 PM

wrote:
Nope, but I will.
Thanks.

Will what? Thanks for what?

Bobby Bewl September 1st 05 07:26 PM

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Nope, but I will.
Thanks.

Will what? Thanks for what?

Will use talcum powder to prevent a rude noise.

Bobby