DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   find a neutral (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/118829-find-neutral.html)

heating tech August 29th 05 01:38 AM

find a neutral

hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install a boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be very confusing as to what wires are what,plus nearly always only 3 core has been installed and use the earth as a switched live,i can where possible change it to a 4 core with the correct colour coding.

this is my problem and really hope someone out there can help

please can someone help how do you get a true test to find the neutral i would be extremly grateful if someone could just clear this frustrating question up please.

all the best

gary

Dave Plowman (News) August 29th 05 09:11 AM

In article ,
heating tech wrote:
hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install a
boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be very
confusing as to what wires are what,plus nearly always only 3 core has
been installed and use the earth as a switched live,i can where
possible change it to a 4 core with the correct colour coding.

Most use triple and earth for this purpose. It's against regulations to
use a bare earth conductor for anything other than earth.

However, if this has been done check inside the CH junction box to find
out how it's been wired - then fit a modern thermostat of the
programmable variety which doesn't need an earth or neutral being
battery operated, and make sure you wire it up without using the ECC on
the TW&E cable for anything other than an earth.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

raden August 29th 05 05:18 PM

In message , heating tech
writes

hiya everyone could someone out their help me please,when i install a
boiler etc and a new room thermostat is to be fitted it can be very
confusing as to what wires are what,plus nearly always only 3 core has
been installed and use the earth as a switched live,i can where
possible change it to a 4 core with the correct colour coding.

this is my problem and really hope someone out there can help

please can someone help how do you get a true test to find the neutral
i would be extremly grateful if someone could just clear this
frustrating question up please.

How many bloody neutrals are you trying to find ?

I've counted 5 so far

If your level of knowledge is at this level, I think you should stay
away from boilers and electricity

.... and maybe diy-banter

--
geoff