Stephen

Default fitting barrel tap

I've just bought an old oak barrel and brass tap. The tap simply knocks
into a hole but, presumably because the hole isn't perfectly round,
there is a small leak from around the barel of the tap.
What do people use to ensure a watertight fit ? I've tried an old piece
of inner tube wrapped around the tap barrel but this just prevents the
tap from getting a firm fixing.
Thanks

Michael Mcneil

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Stephen
writes
The tap simply knocks into a hole but there is a small leak

Cork

If I remember correctly the tap has a cork sleeve. If you can find a
real ale pub the landlord might help but I think they all have modern
fittings these days.

You might be able to knock something up with modern plasic foam. And you
might poison yourself.

raden

In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"raden" wrote in message

In message , Stephen
writes
The tap simply knocks into a hole but there is a small leak

Cork

If I remember correctly the tap has a cork sleeve. If you can find a
real ale pub the landlord might help but I think they all have modern
fittings these days.

You might be able to knock something up with modern plasic foam. And you
might poison yourself.

You should be able to buy one of those storage jars with a cork stopper
and whittle the cork down to (almost) fit.
--
geoff
raden

In message , Rob Morley
writes
In article , "Stephen"
says...
I've just bought an old oak barrel and brass tap. The tap simply knocks
into a hole but, presumably because the hole isn't perfectly round,
there is a small leak from around the barel of the tap.
What do people use to ensure a watertight fit ?

Tar?

Yeah?

Hot day and ...

--