DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Water softner rejuvenator (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/116034-water-softner-rejuvenator.html)

Peter Hemmings August 5th 05 06:53 PM

Water softner rejuvenator

Can someone tell me if there is such a substance, and if so what is it?

(I have an old softener that I think may benefit!)

Thanks

Andy Hall August 5th 05 07:29 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 18:53:36 +0100, Peter Hemmings
wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is such a substance, and if so what is it?

(I have an old softener that I think may benefit!)

Thanks

I have heard of a couple of options from softener suppliers:

- Flush some citric acid solution through the resin chambers to
dissolve crud etc. that has come in from the water supply.

- Replace the resin material in the chambers. Apparently this is
possible, but may not be economic if the control valve is in its
twilight years. At that point it could be throwing more money at the
issue than is warranted.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Aidan August 5th 05 09:25 PM

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Can someone tell me if there is such a substance,

From my (limited) experience, I understood that there is some substance

which can 're-activate' the resin, but it would only be required if the
resin had been exposed to iron fouling from rusty pipes or tanks. The
iron had a greater affinity for the resin than sodium or chlorine. The
resin should otherwise last indefinitely.

You can remove some bacterial fouling by putting a small amount of
chlorine bleach in the salt tank and regenerating.

The Natural Philosopher August 6th 05 01:28 AM

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is such a substance, and if so what is it?

(I have an old softener that I think may benefit!)

Thanks

Salt?

Aidan August 6th 05 11:19 AM

Aidan wrote:

iron had a greater affinity for the resin than sodium or chlorine.

Should have said; " a greater affinity for the resin than sodium or
calcium ions".

I had assumed it was being normally regenerated with salt.