max-man

Default Septic tank drainage - average price?

What's the average price for a small/moderate septic tank to be
drained? The solids in mine seem to need draining once a year at about
£80 a throw - is this an average price or to much?

Thanks

Tony Williams

In article ,
max-man wrote:
What's the average price for a small/moderate septic tank to be
drained? The solids in mine seem to need draining once a year at
about £80 a throw - is this an average price or to much?

That's about the same as around here, if the access is
straightforward. Every year seems a little excessive
though.

--
Tony Williams.

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
max-man wrote:
What's the average price for a small/moderate septic tank to be
drained? The solids in mine seem to need draining once a year at
about =A380 a throw - is this an average price or to much?

That's about the same as around here, if the access is
straightforward. Every year seems a little excessive
though.

--
Tony Williams.

If it really is a septic tank and not a cess pit, it really should not
need emptying every year. There should be a somewhat solid crud on the
surface and liquid below. It's best not to disturb this. Biology
works its magic and almost everything solid gets digested. Eventually
there will be some build up of mineral at the bottom from washing the
carrots etc but with normal domestic use this takes a long time. It
has been 15 years since my septic tank was emptied and the products of
a family of six have passed through it. Of course you mustn't put
chemicals that are harmful to bacteria down the drain.

max-man

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:30:46 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

In article ,
max-man wrote:
What's the average price for a small/moderate septic tank to be
drained? The solids in mine seem to need draining once a year at
about £80 a throw - is this an average price or to much?

That's about the same as around here, if the access is
straightforward. Every year seems a little excessive
though.

I thought it was excessive too. Then again, it's not a huge tank (but
is mostly only used by two people).
Tony Williams

In article ,
max-man wrote:
[snip]
I see. Well, last year I had it drained because although the
'crust' started off pretty low down (it was a year drained before
we moved into our current property which is now two years ago) -
but looking at it in about October of last year the 'crust' was
pretty near the top.

Ah! That's where the crust /should/ run.

Just under the crust is water, and below that is the
solid waste, merrily digesting away. The level in
the first chamber should rise until the water level
comes up to the connecting pipe into the 2nd chamber.
The second chamber should also fill until it's water
(only) level comes up to it's outlet. They should
both then stay at their respective levels for years.

The thing to keep a serious eye on is that there should
be no solid matter floating on the surface of the second
chamber and so going down your outlet pipe. This will
clog your easement, which can be very expensive to renew.

--
Tony Williams.
max-man

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 14:52:32 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

I see. Well, last year I had it drained because although the
'crust' started off pretty low down (it was a year drained before
we moved into our current property which is now two years ago) -
but looking at it in about October of last year the 'crust' was
pretty near the top.

Ah! That's where the crust /should/ run.

It SHOULD be at that level all the time then?

One slight problem I have with the solid waste tank is as follows:

The main inlet pipe has a U shaped bit of metal (might be plastic -
I'll refer to it as a hoop from now on) around it which presumably
prevents waste from going back into the inlet pipe and also allowing
waste to freely flow into the tank. The inlet in mine though sometimes
gets clogged as solid waste and/or loo paper gets stuck between the
exit of the inlet pipe and the hoop. I think this is happening because
the hoop is too close to the inlet pipe but expanding the hoop (or
perhaps even shortening the pipe a bit as it does seem to stick in too
far) would be a messy business.

I can clear any blockage by pushing a pole down onto the waste in the
hoop then all is well .... until the next time.

What also concerns me re the crust is if this rises ABOVE the hoop -
surely that will also cause a blockage?

Just under the crust is water, and below that is the
solid waste, merrily digesting away. The level in
the first chamber should rise until the water level
comes up to the connecting pipe into the 2nd chamber.
The second chamber should also fill until it's water
(only) level comes up to it's outlet. They should
both then stay at their respective levels for years.

Ahhh, I see.

The thing to keep a serious eye on is that there should
be no solid matter floating on the surface of the second
chamber and so going down your outlet pipe. This will
clog your easement, which can be very expensive to renew.

Noted, will keep an eye on that.

Many thanks

The Natural Philosopher

max-man wrote:

What's the average price for a small/moderate septic tank to be
drained? The solids in mine seem to need draining once a year at about
£80 a throw - is this an average price or to much?

Thanks

Thats what it cost me to empty a klargester.

Apparently its as much the charge the council makes for accepting the
****, as the emtpying...
S Viemeister

Rick wrote:

Mines 50 quid, inc VAT.

Lucky. Scottish Water charges much more than that.

Scheduled/Contract £108.97; Non scheduled £182.98; Urgent response
£275.50 or more

Eight years ago, it would have cost me only GBP 27.50

Sheila

Rick

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:03:47 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

Rick wrote:

Mines 50 quid, inc VAT.

Lucky. Scottish Water charges much more than that.

Scheduled/Contract £108.97; Non scheduled £182.98; Urgent response
£275.50 or more

Eight years ago, it would have cost me only GBP 27.50

Sheila

One of the local farmers comes out with a vacume tank on his tractor,
and drags the muck off to the sewage works. He can only come in
summer, else his tractor slides down the field when he tries to turn,
such are the joys of living in remote places.

Rick