DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is position on lead multicore solder? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/115298-what-position-lead-multicore-solder.html)

Dave Plowman (News) August 2nd 05 09:05 AM

In article .com,
wrote:
I don't think this will matter, as it will be illegal for the
electronic products containing lead etc to be sold in the EU - so if
they want to continue selling products here they will have to change.

Wonder why? I thought it was health and safety issues at the point of
manufacture, not use?

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andrew Gabriel August 2nd 05 10:31 AM

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article .com,
wrote:
I don't think this will matter, as it will be illegal for the
electronic products containing lead etc to be sold in the EU - so if
they want to continue selling products here they will have to change.

Wonder why? I thought it was health and safety issues at the point of
manufacture, not use?

No, it's health and safety issues at the point of disposal.

--
Andrew Gabriel

MM August 2nd 05 02:54 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:21:49 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , MM
writes
On 1 Aug 2005 12:27:17 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

I don't think landfill is the problem but other more eurofriendly
methods of recycling. If these things are put in incinerators they all
produce harmful toxins that might easily reach the atmosphere.

I rather think the general trend is a move away from landfill. And as
for China, I think the move to more eco friendly ingredients would be a
lifesaver there, as old computer parts are sent to China where illegal
back street workshops maim (and even kill) hundreds if not thousands in
the recovery of lead solder from pcb boards.

One of the problems with pcb boards is the plethora of connections
that need soldering. We should have a lot more solid state devices
that can be snapped together without solder. Modern motherboards look
like they've been designed by that "Shakespeare" group of monkeys who
have taken time off from their rows of typewriters. When will a
"motherboard" be 1 inch square, consisting largely of take off points
for network, modem, printer, VDU etc, all moulded into, not soldered
onto, the package housing?

I think you have a lot to learn grasshopper

So have motherboard designers.

MM

MM August 2nd 05 02:55 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:45:02 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

MM wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Chris Bacon writes:
Chris McBrien wrote:
........ and aren't dental fillings made with a percentage of
Mercury in them?

Yes, they're a mercury/silver/tin/copper/zinc amalgam. There's been
a "scare" about it for years.

There was a Dispatches, or Horizon, or similar on this probably
some 15 or more years ago. My recollection is that mercury
release to the environment from crematoria chimneys is actually
quite significant, at around 3g per person.

That's why the flue is fitted with an expensive "scrubber" (ooh-er!).

Apart from in Britain, of course...

So there are no strictures? Emission of mercury vapour (etc.)
is legitimate? *I think not*.

I was referring to expensive scrubbers.

MM

raden August 2nd 05 08:10 PM

In message , MM
writes

wrote:

[...]

You said pcbs initially ... not motherboards

--
geoff