DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gravel beds round house, alternatives? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/115294-gravel-beds-round-house-alternatives.html)

[email protected] August 1st 05 09:34 AM

Gravel beds round house, alternatives?

This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

Around much of our house there are paved paths with gravel insets.
There are, in particular, quite long sections of gravel between the
paths and the house wall in some places.

These are an ongoing problem because they're difficult to keep weed
free and the gravel gets everywhere (especially now that we have
chickens who like nothing more than to scratch in the gravel!).

Are there any sensible alternatives to gravel? We could simply pave
over the two or three small 'islands' of gravel but I suspect that the
gravel adjacent to the walls provides drainage so whatever replaces it
will need to let water drain through. What's chicken proof but not
water proof?

--
Chris Green

Andrew Gabriel August 1st 05 10:07 AM

In article ,
writes:
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

Around much of our house there are paved paths with gravel insets.
There are, in particular, quite long sections of gravel between the
paths and the house wall in some places.

They are probably there to prevent water splashing back up
the wall, and may actually form a drain to carry water away
from the foundations. How old is the building? They could
be part of an earlier damp treatment if you have solid walls.

You could pull some out and see what's underneath. Weeds
might be a sign it's got lots of organic matter in there
over the years which needs washing out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

[email protected] August 1st 05 10:31 AM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
writes:
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

Around much of our house there are paved paths with gravel insets.
There are, in particular, quite long sections of gravel between the
paths and the house wall in some places.

They are probably there to prevent water splashing back up
the wall, and may actually form a drain to carry water away
from the foundations. How old is the building? They could
be part of an earlier damp treatment if you have solid walls.

It's a 1920s house but has very many extensions, most of the house
just has lawn or flower beds up to the walls.

You could pull some out and see what's underneath. Weeds
might be a sign it's got lots of organic matter in there
over the years which needs washing out.

I doubt there's anything that sophisticated, our ground is so sandy
that drainage is a non-event, water just disappears by magic even in
the heaviest downpours.

I do think that concrete or paving right up to the house would be a
bad idea though.

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher August 1st 05 11:41 AM

wrote in message ...
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

What's chicken proof but not
water proof?

Nothing.

Mary

--
Chris Green

[email protected] August 1st 05 12:10 PM

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message ...
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

What's chicken proof but not
water proof?

Nothing.

Mary

Thank you for that deeply philosophical answer! :-)

Actually I think the 'paving with holes' suggestion in the other
gravel thread might well be the answer for this too. The chickens
will be able to peck in the holes etc. but they won't be able to pull
(much) soil out.

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher August 1st 05 12:55 PM

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.

What's chicken proof but not
water proof?

Nothing.

Mary

Thank you for that deeply philosophical answer! :-)

I speak from deep philosophical experience :-)

Actually I think the 'paving with holes' suggestion in the other
gravel thread might well be the answer for this too. The chickens
will be able to peck in the holes etc. but they won't be able to pull
(much) soil out.

My first instinct was to say stone or concrete slabs but you did say not
waterproof. If you left half an inch or so between the slabs and either
filled the gaps with sand or let them fill up themselves it should be
OK.That's what we've done next to the back of our house.

Mary

--
Chris Green

Owain August 1st 05 01:26 PM

wrote:
This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.
Around much of our house there are paved paths with gravel insets.
There are, in particular, quite long sections of gravel between the
paths and the house wall in some places.
These are an ongoing problem because they're difficult to keep weed
free

Either long-lasting weedkiller (if you don't mind chemicals) or
geotextile membrane underneath (if you do).

Or flamegun occasionally.

and the gravel gets everywhere (especially now that we have
chickens who like nothing more than to scratch in the gravel!).

Remove gravel and replace with pebbles. Bear in mind the chickens will
then scratch elsewhere, which might be even less welcome.

Owain

[email protected] August 1st 05 03:39 PM

Owain wrote:
wrote:

and the gravel gets everywhere (especially now that we have
chickens who like nothing more than to scratch in the gravel!).

Remove gravel and replace with pebbles. Bear in mind the chickens will
then scratch elsewhere, which might be even less welcome.

We moved up to pebbles and the chickens left it alone for a while but
now they're scratching the pebbles out too.

I think one of the 'paving with holes in' or 'grass paving' solutions
at
www.pavingexpert.com may be the answer.

--
Chris Green

David Lang August 1st 05 05:55 PM

"Owain" wrote in message
Either long-lasting weedkiller (if you don't mind chemicals) or
geotextile membrane underneath (if you do).

Sodium Chlorate seems to work a treat, they reckon it lasts 6 months at
least.

Dave

Owain August 1st 05 07:21 PM

wrote:
Remove gravel and replace with pebbles.

We moved up to pebbles and the chickens left it alone for a while but
now they're scratching the pebbles out too.

Remove pebbles and replace with stones!

You're feeding those chooks too much spinach :-)

Owain

Mary Fisher August 1st 05 08:39 PM

"Owain" wrote in message
Remove gravel and replace with pebbles.

We moved up to pebbles and the chickens left it alone for a while but
now they're scratching the pebbles out too.

Remove pebbles and replace with stones!

You're feeding those chooks too much spinach :-)

You have no idea what they can shift! I only have little bantams and they
could move mountains if they put their talons to it.

Mary

Owain

[email protected] August 1st 05 10:17 PM

David Lang wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Either long-lasting weedkiller (if you don't mind chemicals) or
geotextile membrane underneath (if you do).

Sodium Chlorate seems to work a treat, they reckon it lasts 6 months at
least.

Not on our drive it doesn't, I've used both Sodium Chlorate and
"Pathclear", they keep it weed free for a month or two if we're lucky
but no longer.

--
Chris Green