peter attwood

Default No stop valve on hot water system

In my new house, there doesn'ts appear to be any way to turn of the hot
water from the hot water cylinder, to allow me to work on some pipework. Can
I just turn off cold water feed to hot water cylinder and let it drain, if
what is the best way to fill it back up so i don't get any airlocks, as most
taps with mains pressure seem to have mixer taps, so no way to back feed, or
is there any simplier ways to solve problem. thanks for any suggestions

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

John

"peter attwood" wrote in message
. ..
In my new house, there doesn'ts appear to be any way to turn of the hot
water from the hot water cylinder, to allow me to work on some pipework.
Can
I just turn off cold water feed to hot water cylinder and let it drain, if
what is the best way to fill it back up so i don't get any airlocks, as
most
taps with mains pressure seem to have mixer taps, so no way to back feed,
or
is there any simplier ways to solve problem. thanks for any suggestions

If you mean the copper immersion tank. which I think you do. Just turn off
the feed into it that you can see. Water works on gravity, no feed in = no
flow out. Try it you'll be pleasantly suprised, the tank will not empty!!

HTH

John

Chris McBrien

THE TANK WILL NOT EMPTY ???

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Chris McBrien

THE TANK WILL NOT EMPTY ???

Not until you open a downstairs or any tap that is lower than the hot tank.
The hot tank has a vent to atmosphere at the top.

Just remember the 'U' - tube principle.

Chris.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Sparks

"Chris McBrien" wrote in message
. ..
THE TANK WILL NOT EMPTY ???

Not until you open a downstairs or any tap that is lower than the hot
tank.
The hot tank has a vent to atmosphere at the top.

Just remember the 'U' - tube principle.

Chris.

Even then, the only water that will empty is the water in the pipes, the
cylinder will remain full.

The outlet from a normal hot water cylinder is at the top, and the inlet is
at the bottom (Hot water rises, and cold water sinks)
The pressure from the cold water entering the cylinder is what gets the hot
water out ;-)

Sparks...

peter attwood

Thanks for the suggestion, everything is obvious isn't it when someone tells
you. Slight problem, stopcock feeding hot water cylinder is stuck, looks
very old and not used in years. Not sure what will happen if I apply some
force to it ,to try and free it. I assume I can achieve the same by emptying
the cold water tank in the loft which feeds the cylinder, and either turn
off the mains, or tie up the ballvalve on the tank to stop it filling.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Owain

peter attwood wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, everything is obvious isn't it when someone tells
you. Slight problem, stopcock feeding hot water cylinder is stuck, looks
very old and not used in years. Not sure what will happen if I apply some
force to it ,to try and free it. I assume I can achieve the same by emptying
the cold water tank in the loft which feeds the cylinder, and either turn
off the mains, or tie up the ballvalve on the tank to stop it filling.

You can get rubber bungs (in t'olden days a carrot and a potato were
used) to put into the CW tank outlet and the vent pipe to seal the system.

Owain

John

"peter attwood" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the suggestion, everything is obvious isn't it when someone
tells
you. Slight problem, stopcock feeding hot water cylinder is stuck, looks
very old and not used in years. Not sure what will happen if I apply some
force to it ,to try and free it.

Try 'closing' it a bit more first. You may be able to get some movement
going that way. Whenever I open a stopcock etc, I always fully open them
and then turn back 1/2 a turn. It doesn't affect the flow to any noticeable
degree but gives you this option if things get stuck.

I assume I can achieve the same by emptying
the cold water tank in the loft which feeds the cylinder, and either turn
off the mains, or tie up the ballvalve on the tank to stop it filling.

Yes same effect, or bung up the outlet hole from the header tank with
something suitable. I carry a Demi John bung in my kit for just this
purpose.

HTH

John

mike ring

"peter wrote in
:

Thanks for the suggestion, everything is obvious isn't it when someone
tells you. Slight problem, stopcock feeding hot water cylinder is
stuck, looks very old and not used in years. Not sure what will happen
if I apply some force to it ,to try and free it. I assume I can
achieve the same by emptying the cold water tank

And, while you're at it, replace it with a full bore lever ball valve

mike