DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stripping and painting asbestos-cement pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/114798-stripping-painting-asbestos-cement-pipe.html)

Steve July 27th 05 10:10 AM

Stripping and painting asbestos-cement pipe

Hi,

The vent pipe from my drain appears to be made of material containing
asbestos (asbestos-cement mixture I think). It's sound, but the paint is
flaking off.

The pipe is outside and mounted close against the wall. Obviously I don't
want to sand or wire brush it. Also I'm worried that a chemical stripper
might weaken the material - is this unfounded?

Can anyone suggest an effective, safe way to prepare the surface?

Also, I've heard you need an alkali-resistant primer to avoid attacking the
cement components. Any suggestions on the best types of paint are welcome.

Many thanks

Steve

[email protected] July 27th 05 04:27 PM

Steve wrote:

Hi,

The vent pipe from my drain appears to be made of material containing
asbestos (asbestos-cement mixture I think). It's sound, but the paint is
flaking off.

The pipe is outside and mounted close against the wall. Obviously I don't
want to sand or wire brush it. Also I'm worried that a chemical stripper
might weaken the material - is this unfounded?

Can anyone suggest an effective, safe way to prepare the surface?

If its white or light grey I'd use a wet scouring pad. Maybe not if its
blue or brown pipe tho.

Also, I've heard you need an alkali-resistant primer to avoid attacking the
cement components. Any suggestions on the best types of paint are welcome.

I've seen ordinary emulsion last a long time outdoors on asbestos. Dont
know if theres anything thats specific for asbestos, maybe someone
does.

NT

Steve Walker July 27th 05 05:13 PM

wrote:
Steve wrote:

Also, I've heard you need an alkali-resistant primer to avoid
attacking the cement components. Any suggestions on the best
types of paint are welcome.

I've seen ordinary emulsion last a long time outdoors on
asbestos. Dont know if theres anything thats specific for
asbestos, maybe someone does.

stabilisinng solution & external emulsion worked for us